Wall of Shame: Wannabe Experts

If it was questionable once cut, the climber could have put control lines on it, to keep it on top of the stump, rather than do or die (from my non-CO trained arm chair).

My first crane work was tornado work. I said two picks, CO said one. I cut it 1' off the ground. He kept it off the ground, but he was overloaded. Dumb on both of our parts. Plus, I could have flopped it closer, and had it on the ground. Overworked, underslept.

I believe that its hard on the boom (non-crane operator trained) to extend and retract the boom under load. Its made to slide the sections with low load. Anyone know?

I've seen them boom in under a load all the time. That's how you make the load "lighter." The shorter the boom, the stronger it is.

The multi part block was a big factor too. If they had a ball rather than the block that would save several hundo lbs and give much faster response. The winch could easily handle that piece with just a single line.

Maybe Cory. The block allows for more weight on a single cable, but you still need to stay within the load chart. I've never seen a crane op use a block at full reach as well. Cable out is all I can think of in that situation. Lowering the boom lowers your weight capacity. Raising it would increase it, but the shift in forces could of sped up the tip over. Just a bad call in my book. Glad it wasn't me.

I got that tidbit from my crane op, he's extremely experienced, knowledgable. I asked him if the crane was salvageable, he said probably, you'd have to replace the rear outrigger jacks cuz they are probably twisted and toast. And take the boom completely apart and check it for damage and straightness.

I asked him about that too. It's absolutely no issue at all, the crane is made for booming in and out under load, but booming out under a heavy load could be too much for the hydraulics, but not harmful to the machine at all.

Btw, talking about cranes that aren't shuttle booms (larger cranes, the boom sections go all the way out one at a time, they individual sections can only be used all the way out or all the way in). Not sure if that linkbelt is a shuttle boom or not.

On the HTC 830 (30 ton Leak Belt) my employer has, the inner most boom is a dead section only, the other two sections are live. The manual for that crane says not to scope under 70 degrees, hard on the wear pads I'd guess. Sometimes you have no choice. None of the Grove manuals I've seen read like that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tTUjorkZkC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

it looks like the tree hinged on the front edge or very close to it. You can briefly see the hinge wood when it goes over. No sharp. Got to wonder why people put up vids like that, besides for all the comments saying what a good job they did.

I would have checked the backcut more, he seemed to focus on the one side, pound a few times and then check the progress made up in the tree, seemed he missed that. I have no idea on what the hinge looked like, can't comment on that.

Sure wasn't one to emulate, but IMHO didn't sink to the same level of dreadful/horrifying as some on YouTube and/or in this thread!

In terms of equipment maintenance though, I think I've seen beachballs sharper than that chain! ;)

Not to mention the fact you only have one tree..:/:

Seemed pretty careless with his wedges. At one point after his doubling up popped out the tree set back. Fortunately he had another wedge in there that kept it from setting back hard and losing it. It seemed like a combination of details could have added up to something undesirable happening there. A few things to be avoided can add up. Except for those two that he had stuck in there minimally, he proceeded to get the tree all cut up, then went to relying on his wedges. More cutting and more wedging together in combination seems a better way to more safely monitor the situation as things proceed with a tree that size. He probably wouldn't of had to work so hard with that banging either, and at one point acting somewhat perplexed.

I agree, Jay. This COULD have been in the top (bottom?) ten of all time, but he got away without the little things adding up and biting him in the arse.

The others appear so much worse because they DO go bad, i.e., people being knocked off ladders, roofs being caved in, etc.. This one is more in the "unrealized potential" category! :lol:

Back