Views from Mt. Lassen

I don't think so. We were told they are sulfuric acid, and some of them actually boil. There are plenty of signs everywhere warning of the danger of getting burnt. There may be some safe ones in the area that we are not aware of.

I don't think so. We were told they are sulfuric acid, and some of them actually boil. There are plenty of signs everywhere warning of the danger of getting burnt. There may be some safe ones in the area that we are not aware of.

Thats a bummer! We just hiked into one on the Wind River in OR. It was great and free, wish I had gotten a photo but I didn't bring my camera on the hike.

It is indeed a beautiful area, the Wind River.

Let's not let a Lassen meet go by the boards, Terri. We'd have a ball, no doubt.

What nearby lodgings did you and Jerry find suitable?

We have always stayed at Best Western in Chester, 30 miles away but convenient in that there is restaurants, grocery stores, gas, etc. However, this last time we stayed at Mineral Lodge, six miles from the park. We figured we would save our selves 60 minutes of driving everyday but as it worked out, we went into Chester every day anyway for one thing or another. Mostly because the restaurant at Mineral Lodge does not open for breakfast until 8 am and we like to be on the trail by then. The Lodge has seen better days, but we enjoyed the quietness and relaxed atmosphere. Rooms were old, no TV, the bed was comfy and they had comfy rocking chairs outside to sit and watch the day end and the bats come out. Food at the Lodge restaurant was adequate. They also have a very old grocery store with dusty shelves and old stuff in it. It is a owned and ran by a family, most of whom were either burnt out from the tourist season or just plain indifferent about their guests. It's hard to say if we would stay there again or not. We did like sitting out side in the evening watching the bugs and bats and listening to the cows across the street mooing.

Back