Views from Mt. Lassen

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Here's a hod-poge of images I took last week in Lassen. Enjoy!! Oh, I reduced a couple of the images to fit the screen, but could not delete the full size ones. Does anybody know how to do that? Delete certain images...

Attachments

• Red Fir Stand.JPG
    Red Fir Stand.JPG
    609.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Top of lassen.JPG
    Top of lassen.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Big Meadow.JPG
    Big Meadow.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Boiling Lake.JPG
    Boiling Lake.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Cinder Cone.JPG
    Cinder Cone.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Devils Kitchen.JPG
    Devils Kitchen.JPG
    528.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Lassen Trail.jpg
    Lassen Trail.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Pano of Lassen.jpg
    Pano of Lassen.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 63
Looks like great weather, nice pictures, thanks for sharing

Should be good weather there in a couple weeks. We usually go in mid September but went early this year because the trail to the top of Lassen is only fully open to hiking a few weekends during the summer due to trail construction. If you do any hiking I fully recommend doing the Mt. Harkness trail. 2.1 miles up to reach the peak (8046 ft) and the view is incredible! Another good hike is the Devil's Kitchen. Lots of smelly fumaroles, hot springs, boiling lakes and streams. The road to Devil's kitchen trailhead is a little rough but worth it.

In the second pic the guy in the blue jacket with the white hat is none other than Climbinfool Greg Liu on top of Mt Lassen (10,463 ft). It was hard for us to keep up with Greg! In fact, when I reached a little more than 9000 ft I got real sick and had to turn around, leaving Greg and Jerry on there own to the top. I'm am really disappointed about that, we planned this for over a year, but I've had altitude sickness before and recognized the symptoms right away and new it was over for me. I plan on trying it one more time and take it slower and hopefully make it all the way.

I know that feeling Terry, Eww. Best that you took the way down and out. Your time will come if you're not pushing it.
In my experience, it is from going from sea level to 10,000' trying to kill Elk. I really enjoy being misplaced in the mountains. I have yet to be in an area that pulls me so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will admit, the last thousand feet to the peak was tough. I will never be a mountain climber, but having made it to the top of Lassen will be a book mark in our lives. Hopefully we well do it together on the next go around.

Should be good weather there in a couple weeks. We usually go in mid September but went early this year because the trail to the top of Lassen is only fully open to hiking a few weekends during the summer due to trail construction. If you do any hiking I fully recommend doing the Mt. Harkness trail. 2.1 miles up to reach the peak (8046 ft) and the view is incredible! Another good hike is the Devil's Kitchen. Lots of smelly fumaroles, hot springs, boiling lakes and streams. The road to Devil's kitchen trailhead is a little rough but worth it.

Thanks Mrs.B, good info, will do :thumbup:

Cool pics!

If you go into settings and click attachments on the bottom left menu you can delete the attachments which will get rid of the ones that wont go away.

Good word for it, Bermy. It does seem a little other-worldly to walk among the steaming, boiling, gurgling and plopping features. Some of the creeks and springs are white, yellow, or blue depending on chemical content. And the ever present smell of rotten eggs, along with splatters of hot mud and deep gutturral sounds coming from inside the earth via the fumaroles...it's an experience!

Slightly un-nerving too! The actual reality of the instability of the ground under your feet.

Wonderful, Jer. Thanks to you both. We really ought to think about a plan for the four of us to meet up there next year.

Back