Vertically Split pine hung up - how would you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I would face and back cut the two it’s hung up in with my head on a swivel. Leave a kickstand?

Then wrap the split tree top and bottom of the cut. Face the front half leaving the hinge at the back of the front half of the tree. Then use the rear half on the tree as a trigger…maybe multiple kerfs to hopefully prevent pinch.

About 10 wraps with det cord? Target practice til she goes? :lol: Seriously tho, i would do about anything but put a saw on it, including setting a line as high as possible and pulling it over with a winch or truck. That's got barberchair all over it, nope on a rope for me.

I'd wrap it tight and use a Coos Bay. It looks to me in the pics that it is weakly hung and would fall between the other two stems...but that could be completely wrong. Analysis by photograph is a risky business :).

If you tried my suggestion and it stayed hung, I'd then go salami cut to move the butt in the needed direction to precipitate the fall. Again with tight wrappings in place. That might or might not work too.

If not, at that point I'd throw a rope in the top and pull it down with whatever was needed and possible to put in play...ma, winch, machine.

I'd not want to try to face and back cut the supporting trees...that has high risk written all over it.

Maybe better to say I'd not want to recommend it...as I have done something fairly similar a time or two. It's very nervous work, I promise.

Back