UNDER ARMOUR

bruce6670

Treehouser
I bought myself some Under Armour today and was interested to see what others thought about their cold weather gear. Does anyone here use it? If so, how do you like it?

unlike the wicking polypro stuff, I get about 3 hours before it starts to get anti personal.

Smartwool socks are the best! I've found a number of decent short and long sleeve base layer shirts at the resale shop for $1.99 to 3.99 that come from Marmot, Columbia Sportswear, EMS, Adidas, Nike,
and other outdoor and running gear mfgrs. Most feature Sta-Dry type wicking technology.

A lot of the newer polypropylene undergarments are treated so they don't pick up body oils and stink like the earlier styles did.
My favorite long sleeve layer is a black company logo shirt from Limbwalker Tree Service (thanks Chris and Corey!). It is made by Augusta Sportswear; their Moisture Management series. Haven't tried silk yet.

I have a twenty-six year old Duofold two-layer wool/cotton shirt which was my only base layer for severe cold days over many years - it is so stained people avoid me even when it's freshly laundered ;)

I want to buy stock in Smartwool, I love their stuff. I had an Under Armor top but it always gave me the chills. My merino wool tops are what allow this Californian to work outside in winter here in Idaho. I have two of these: They're expensive but thermals last longer than outerwear.

+1

I wear merino wool socks every day. Many of my shirts and hats are also merino wool.

Bruce make sure whatever you get, it's MERINO wool. The best brands I've found are smartwool, patagonia, and ice breaker.

love
nick

Your in L.A.! Surely your opinion is null and void:D
I wear sweats under my pants when it gets real cold (teens - single digit) and a t-shirt, hoodie and jacket above

What are you talking about, Willie?! It's going to be down-right frigid tomorrow! It's supposed to be a high of only 61 degrees!

I'll be sporting long sleeves for sure.

What are you talking about, Willie?! It's going to be down-right frigid tomorrow! It's supposed to be a high of only 61 degrees!

I'll be sporting long sleeves for sure.

ok, its suspect to be 32F here tomorrow morning, high of 45 or so, Nick, hush, please, the rest of you working in above 32F temp, please, keep yer yaps shut, those working in the below frigid temps, feel free to post up as you wish.

i use the good ol fashion k mart bought joe boxer long johns
i get so hopelessly wet from rain here
or i sweat so much in the rain gear that i soak myself...(not piss myself...soaked in sweat)
i just change at lunch whole fresh set of everything
that way i'm warm and dry

i'd love to spend dough on wool, but 6 kids keeps me on the bargain isle
and who has time to catalogue surf

oh yeah people who dont have 6 kids ha

Under Armor... great duffel bags, terrible base layers. Waaay too tight for climbing comfortably.

Merino wool ROCKS, you can wear it for days without washing and it doesn't stink... but I only have a one undershirt and a bunch of socks. I wear polypro stuff because i get it super cheap at the biannual Eurosport yardsale, they're based here in Hillsborough so it's just good luck (good luck normally avoids me). I get all my work clothes there except pants.

If I COULD afford nice new Merino wool stuff I'd have tons of it. For socks I only wear 'Darn Tough' merino wool... lifetime guarantee... how can you beat that?

Gonna make high 50's here today... winds at 40 knots though. Time to sway with the pines.

Back