trouble in paradise?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

After finding a used 200T last week, I had the first opportunity to run it for an extended period the other morning.

I noticed that it deposited a thin layer of slightly oily, black soot on the exterior of the exhaust. I only wonder about this because my other saw which I bought new two years ago (and which has been fed a steady diet of ridiculously expensive factory two-stroke 50:1 premix like THIS) does not leave such residue.

Could it be the fuel? (Which was the seller's 50:1 homebrew with Stabil added)

Could it be slightly rich tuning?

Any reason for concern? (FWIW, the spark arrestor is long gone in the saw.)

Was the former owner a little old lady that never revved it up? If it is set rich you should be able to tell by the sound at max revs.

Yeah, Jeff... I'd say absolutely no need for any concern whatsoever. She might be runnin a tad fat, but that's all. Just run a couple tanks of your own saw gas through it before you do anything.

That saw is Fooked, bro....I have a check for....what was that you paid....$350? Hate to see you get the short end of such a bad deal. I'll PM my address.....

:D

Hi, all:

After finding a used 200T last week, I had the first opportunity to run it for an extended period the other morning.

I noticed that it deposited a thin layer of slightly oily, black soot on the exterior of the exhaust. I only wonder about this because my other saw which I bought new two years ago (and which has been fed a steady diet of ridiculously expensive factory two-stroke 50:1 premix like THIS) does not leave such residue.

Could it be the fuel? (Which was the seller's 50:1 homebrew with Stabil added)

Could it be slightly rich tuning?

Any reason for concern? (FWIW, the spark arrestor is long gone in the saw.)

With regard to ridiculously expensive fuel, here is a way you might be able to save some money.
Hopefully I'm about to provide a link to a page that is just the part of the website that shows all of the gas stations in Indiana that sell pure, ethanol free fuel.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IN

Once you get that stuff, you can buy small bottles of synthetic two-stroke oil and mix it up yourself, hopefully saving yourself a bundle of cash.

If you actually find a station that is somewhat close to you that sells pure fuel, consider yourself fortunate. I would probably have to drive 70 miles to find such a source.

Holy cow! I just noticed that you can get 110 Octane fuel around Indianapolis! (In the details it says this is not a gas station, but they deliver and you can also buy it by the gallon.)

Also, there is a product called StarTron that you can add to ethanol laced fuel that will encapsulate the ethanol and help to prevent the damage it can cause to fuel systems. Here's a link to the stuff sold by Amazon. I use it in my car, because I think water can separate out of ethanol fuel just by sitting in the tank too long.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Tron-Enz...528611&sr=8-1&keywords=startron+fuel+additive

Also sold at Walmart near the boating supply section, I think.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on the situation with your new saw. I'm betting that the guy you bought it from is a really nice guy and a straight shooter, and that you have a great saw on your hands. Maybe the fuel mix is a bit rich or something.

Maybe you should send this gentleman a PM, or even just post your questions to him in the open. Sending a PM will help it get noticed more easily, though, I'd guess.

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/member.php?26-Al-Smith

That's all I've got. Best of luck with it.

Tim

Rich mix will run through the exhaust the way you describe,as others said run your mix/fuel and see how it is,sounds like it's running rich to me,wether its the fuel or the carb adjustment.

Seeing as how the guy is a small engines mech. I would think its the fuel lol but it's easy enough to adjust the carb,follow the simple instructions.

...even w additives Petrol breaks down when old. Fails to suspend the oil molecules as well also loses power.... Take down two trees , use three tanks and call us in the morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too funny! ;)

These guys I am listening to...

Yeah, Jeff... I'd say absolutely no need for any concern whatsoever. She might be runnin a tad fat, but that's all. Just run a couple tanks of your own saw gas through it before you do anything.

...stale gas will run through like that.

Rich mix will run through the exhaust the way you describe,as others said run your mix/fuel and see how it is,sounds like it's running rich to me,wether its the fuel or the carb adjustment.

Seeing as how the guy is a small engines mech. I would think its the fuel lol but it's easy enough to adjust the carb,follow the simple instructions.

...even w additives Petrol breaks down when old. Fails to suspend the oil molecules as well also loses power.... Take down two trees , use three tanks and call us in the morning.

These guys I am not...:lol:

That saw is Fooked, bro....I have a check for....what was that you paid....$350? Hate to see you get the short end of such a bad deal. I'll PM my address.....

:D

It's gotta be bad rings...or wallopin' rods....just something REAL bad...just sayin'.

Perhaps the under slung Johnson rod is a bit worn, yeah?

Fallopian tube is probably flooded ;)

Urethra think that????

Funny!

My 200's always have a bit of crud on the outside of the muffler after a bit of work, nothing to worry about unless you are running way too rich or too oily a mix.

I would think a too oily mix would also tell in smoke. It shows this is a tree forum, most people would be jumping around about poisoning the environment, tree guys are concerned if their saw is running right. :lol:

If Stihl could put a green additive in the oil to make smoke green....well then everyone might be happy..kumbaya.

You guys are a comedy!

EDIT: There is little blue smoke (esp. on startup) plus the small amount of soot. I'm sure it's not a big deal at all (rich gas mix/rich tuning), it's just that my CS-590 runs so clean in comparison.

There's no choice between running a little fat vs. a little lean; I'll take the former all day long!

Thanks, peeps! :thumbup:

Yes, Peter. The screw that hold it is still in place, but the spark arrestor itself was removed prior to my ownership.

I've read that this is one of the easiest initial mods folks do to the 200T...

Back