Tricky one to do.

Nice job Reg! :thumbup:

trees always grow 20ft or so from bidding to actual work day :lol:

itd gone totally dark by the time I'd finished fixing other trees that got smashed. The log was longer than I thought.
Yeah I find their longer then I thought sometimes too when I estimate their height with the "stick trick" while standing down hill from the tree.....just have to hold that extended thumb horizontal to where I'm standing below the tree to get the correct compensation.

Sometimes hard when a good view of the tallest point of the tree top can't be seen from that vantage point.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. Yeah, went ok Ben. Was still late getting away because of the trees that got hit by the log at the far end. Even though no body goes down there at present and the 2 × 8 hour days was up. Don't like leaving a mess.

Site was cleaner than I though upon arrival On the Thursday. Pretty orderly. They'd dropped a couple 30 ft arbutus down hill to be pulled up, but no big deal. I think I only dropped about 3 fir sections down there....first was a small top incase it got real windy later, and a couple of big limbs which would've been too hard on the zip line.

Thanks Willard. If it'd been a critical fall I'd have walked down and had a look first....but it didn't warrant it so much. Setting the undercut on the log was a bit awkward but nothing major.

I'll try get some vid up later or tomorrow. should get a 10 minute vid out of what I have.

Some vid here. Its 13 mins, but watchable. Tree turned out to be around 250 years old. So, I should probably change the thread title to 'not so tricky'....as it turned out.

Use HD setting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/20tQGYgI6sI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like everything went well for you. And heck I think you made a video without swearing. Never thought I'd see that.

Why did you cut the sides of your hinge?

It still had a lot of weight forward....even with no limbs, and that tree must have been hammered by some big storms over the years. I was 90 % convinced it couldnt still blow out at the back, but at the same time I really had nowhere to run in that event. It was a bit awkward to bore, so I took the sides instead.

Is that the new Stein gear bag at 5:30? ;)

How many "bumps" up that trunk from losing the leader over the years?

Looks like a good springboard tree maybe? Have you gotten yourself any? You're in the right part of the world, for occasional use. There is a Gear Forum thread, if you want to fab up some SB shoes

Another one bites the dust! Another job done!

Shame I have to watch in 240 instead of HD because of poor internet. Enjoyable as ever, always astonishes me that you don't wear gloves.

Is that the new Stein gear bag at 5:30? ;)

How many "bumps" up that trunk from losing the leader over the years?

Looks like a good springboard tree maybe? Have you gotten yourself any? You're in the right part of the world, for occasional use. There is a Gear Forum thread, if you want to fab up some SB shoes

Another one bites the dust! Another job done!

Yeah the bag is patent pending at the moment. I wouldn't get much use out of spring boards if the last three and a half years is anything to go off. I'll leave that sort of thing to the pro fallers I think. Thanks

Back in the '80s when I was competing at a timber sport meet at Sayward up in northern Vancouver Island I was offered a job to start work as a faller apprentice.
This big forestry company manager from MacMillan Bloedel came down from the crowd during my break and we had a good talk over it. Full benifits with I.W.A. union and all.
Sounded pretty appealing, but after spending some time with my timber faller buddy how he works in the area with the terrain, rain , spring boards and tree jacks just to mention a few. Plus he told me he already had 2 heart surgeries before turning 50......
I decided naaaah I'm making a pretty good living as a faller in Manitoba as it is.:)

Scan.BMP.jpg

That final back cut was a nice shot...cool seeing the spar bounce/break and the residual falling broken mess when you were looking over the carnage.

Hella pic. Who is it? Quite the low stump.

John's an old logging buddy of mine from here in Manitoba in the late '70's. He took off out west and scored a job falling on the coast.
Here I ran into him later in 1988 dropping a 15 ft diameter red cedar north west of Campbell River.
Low stumps on these valuable trees, he estimated 48,000 ft in this tree.

Dang Reg... What kind of a pig of a 3120 was that, that you used at the end there? That was one pig of a saw. Is that yours? How much did that pig set you back? (If you don't mind my asking.) Very nice saw. (If heavier than a son of a gun.)

Extremely good work as always.

Dang Reg... What kind of a pig of a 3120 was that, that you used at the end there? That was one pig of a saw. Is that yours? How much did that pig set you back? (If you don't mind my asking.) Very nice saw. (If heavier than a son of a gun.)

Extremely good work as always.

I've had it about 6 years Jed. It's a euro model so has a higher Rev band than the North American Models....I don't know why that is. Since I had it moded a couple of years ago, it's the best big saw I've ever used. That's a 46 in bar there....but a real clumsy wide one....no sprocket at the tip for some reason. I keep looking out for a used one. Thanks

I guess they make them so wide so that they won't bow as much and throw the chain eh?

Yeah, it just seemed to be able to pull a ton of wood for how long of a chain you had on it. Weird about the no sprocket nose. Craigslist man. Those big Cannons will pop up from time to time, the latter ones marketed as "Woodsman Pro." ..... but.... you probably new that....

I guess they make them so wide so that they won't bow as much and throw the chain eh?

Yeah, it just seemed to be able to pull a ton of wood for how long of a chain you had on it. Weird about the no sprocket nose. Craigslist man. Those big Cannons will pop up from time to time, the latter ones marketed as "Woodsman Pro." ..... but.... you probably new that....
Yeah I wanted a 50 in cannon, as they made here in Canada....but I almost fell off my chair at the price of them.

It still had a lot of weight forward....even with no limbs, and that tree must have been hammered by some big storms over the years. I was 90 % convinced it couldnt still blow out at the back, but at the same time I really had nowhere to run in that event. It was a bit awkward to bore, so I took the sides instead.
Good thinking..
"a little awkward to bore"... 46" bar from rope and saddle.... LOL ya, I'd say so... you got it done quick and smooth... you make handling that big saw look easy....

Back