Tricky one to do.

The house is gonna come right up to where the tree is Tommy, apparently. They don't want the tree there with that in mind. There's lots of ways I could save the log....but not for free or without any appreciation. It's going down the cliff. They can pay to pull it back up if they want it that badly.

Agreed Reg. Rig down what you can, and fell the rest down the cliff. They hired you for a day, not your problem its underbid and you can only do so much with what you're given. I wouldn't sweat it either way and I'm sure that you're not worried too much about it.

Thanks for posting and showing us the upcoming job and you know we're all looking forward to hearing and seeing the rest of the story.

Reg, let us know how its going..

Sean, I might be wrong but I think Reg said its somebodys property on the 'Lean' side of the fur

I was thinking of dropping limbs down to the left. Looks pretty steep. After watching again, I heard about hoping the munipicality never were to see a hypothetical spar 'hidden' down the way. A lot more visible/ trafficky than a lot of the banks that I work on, at times.

After watching again, the low limbs that need to come off in couple pieces look huge. Not an overly tall fir, probably because the original top is long gone, giving it that huge limb at the bottom. I have a hard time even calling one of those a fir "limb'.

Seems like the contracting tree company should have a groundie weed-eat the whole area to reduce PITA from the ivy, before you get there. Toooo easy to lose things in ivy.

Any of you guys remember Jerry B's "CLIFF HANGER" DVD? Classic one where Eric Schotz works to cut down a big Fir literally on the side of a cliff. Very impressive work and an awesome sight watching and listening to that big tree go over the edge! Just got through watching it again.

Reg's job kind of reminds me of the DVD, only Reg has to climb and wreck it out as much as he can first.

Reg make sure the property down the slope is clear of liabilty from other owners or municipalities if your to drop it there.
Back in the 80's I was doing some contract falling for a contractor and dropped a big spruce down a slope near a lake shore.
We skidded it out to the landing but a few weeks later I was fined $700 by the DNR.....that hurt.

Who was that TreeHouser who lost a chipper into some body of water? I can't remember - there was a lot of stink over that, IIRC.

PCTree? Just a guess, I could be wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The job went well enough yesterday. Was a little taller than my 90ft estimate. Thanks for all the input. I'll put some video together soon enough. Heres a pic from the top. TL000307.jpg

Home safe at the end of the day!

Trees sure can grow quickly, sometimes even spars grow between descending and felling. Sometimes even leaning differently. Look forward to some video.

Back