Tricks of The Trade

• Thread starter klimbinfool
  • Start date
  • Replies 58
  • Views 6K
A tips thread will be cool. As for OT wanderings.....that is one of the things I love about this site-conversations wander, just like verbal conversations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is for all you standard footlockers out there. Came up with this about four years ago while practicing for a competetion and never got to use it because I ended up in Butches neck of the woods just before the comp.

Normally, once you footlock into the tree you have to pull up your system, have the groundy pull your systen up, or just pull up the short end and tie off.

I'm assuming everyone knows standard footlock set up which is pic #1
Pic #2 standard vt or what ever system you use as long as it has a slack tender.
Pic #3 attach another climb line to your system with biner.
Pic #4 pull down on standing end of main system drawing up your vt to desired height. Preferably your height above where you need to stand.

now you have a double line to footlock up and a secondary rope if needed for access. once you reach your destination, flip line in, detach secondary rope and hook in... Ready to go.....:D

Now dont go picking aprt my set up here, you got the idea...lol

Attachments

• standard footlock.JPG
    standard footlock.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 9
  • standard vt.JPG
    standard vt.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 8
  • secondary rope.JPG
    secondary rope.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 7
  • raised to desired height.JPG
    raised to desired height.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 9
Looks like you go ahead and raise your DRT set up in the tree (I hope I got that right) and also rig a second line to it where you would be hooked in on your saddle.. Then footlock up both the tail of the DRT and the line rigged to it (double line). Once there.. Hook into the DRT and use the other line for a second position in the tree etc.
Gosh I hope that's right?:|:
Looks handy in the right circumstance.. Don't have to carry the second line into the tree.

So you gotta have a step off point. Interesting, I could see that as a usefull work trick8)

Tiss whats it's for although, I was doing it to impress the judges for competetion. You would need a step off point anyway Willie, even with standard footlocking.

True, I could see innovation points for that in the masters challenge and possibly the rescue climb too.

You're right, I should respect my elders no matter how old or weathered they may appear.

I think it may be doable. If you had way to step up and clip your prussik short and if it were a 1 biner Ddrt system instead of 2. Be interesting to try

That would be difficult....Also your prussik would be going into a slight spread from the tapper of the secoundary rope. I suppose you could though as Willie mentioned. Create a step below re-attach a prussik above. Hmmmm... might be more trouble than it's worth.

Mike Skillin showed me a version of that a few months ago... seems like a false crotch was in there somewhere.

Sure Blinky, I just didnt set one for this demo. Sometimes I wont set one until I get to my TIP, especially if I know I have to move up or to a different location. I hope thats what your asking?

That is pretty slick setup. I love how the best innovations are always the simplest ones.

That is pretty slick. I learned a similar trick from Doug (climb 020) a few years ago.

He would run the drt set up all the way to the top, and add a second srt line anchored to the base of the tree. He footlocked using a kong double ascender. The two ropes back each other up and you can switch to ddrt mid air if need be.

Cool trick, thanks for sharing Greg. I've been thinking about solutions to that time stop between footlocking up the tree and then pulling your rope up and setting your whole DdRT up.

jp:D

After looking at it again, does the slack tender force the hitch up tight against the crotch when you go to make a lock? Seems like it would force your hitch up when you put your weight onto the line?

jp:D

Back