Trees in dumpsters

Keep the dumpster in the bag of tricks, but if you can put more emphasis on finding a subbing relationship with a chipper/ disposal service. Let them have their chipper feeding employees and chipper do the hard work.

Someone I know used to have his friend's tree service do his chipping. The friend charged him $100 an hour for two guys and a 12" chipper, including disposal. He would drag it to the curb, and they'd do a quick chip run after the day's job. The chipping crew did three houses on the same block for $150.

A grapple truck can deal with a lot, too. My friend can skid logs and chokered brush piles rather than moving it by hand, pick it up and load it, and smash the brush down.

I think that you just use the best job-specific solution.

Drop and leave is really nice! Rock that as much as you can if you're trying to squeeze out a 7th day of work in a week. Rest days are important to, both for your body and your relationship.

I own no chipper, there is only one on the island so this concept of ramming a truck with brush and the slicing and dicing then packing logs on top is my daily grind.

View attachment 41971

Looks just like me back in the 80's pre chipper, I could get a load on that's for sure.

No chance of getting a tree service to chip for you around here, I do the odd do it yourself guys but it's got to be close and a good price and not a mess.

There are a few guys that just do chipping the last one I spoke to was $300 minimum & same an hour.

Keep the dumpster in the bag of tricks, but if you can put more emphasis on finding a subbing relationship with a chipper/ disposal service. Let them have their chipper feeding employees and chipper do the hard work.

Someone I know used to have his friend's tree service do his chipping. The friend charged him $100 an hour for two guys and a 12" chipper, including disposal. He would drag it to the curb, and they'd do a quick chip run after the day's job. The chipping crew did three houses on the same block for $150.

A grapple truck can deal with a lot, too. My friend can skid logs and chokered brush piles rather than moving it by hand, pick it up and load it, and smash the brush down.

I think that you just use the best job-specific solution.

Drop and leave is really nice! Rock that as much as you can if you're trying to squeeze out a 7th day of work in a week. Rest days are important to, both for your body and your relationship.

Thats exactly what I did. It was very easy. Cost me $100 bucks an hour.

Garbage trucks with the compacting thing on the end will carry a lot of brush too. We used one once as an experiment, and I saw somebody else do it too. I seem to recall some gripes from the people that had to unload it, probably because we put too much in. That swinging thing at the butt end is very powerful, it just keeps shoving it in. I couldn't believe how much got compacted.

I guess I'm lucky.

Our city picks up debri once a month for everyone. It's on a schedule. Someone wants a removal, I look up when their pickup day is, do the removal 2 or 3 days before, stack it by the curb and the city picks it up for free.

Years ago when I had a company in the DC metro area I used to do work for a big "disaster response" company. One day after we had a big storm roll through they had loads of jobs with trees on houses and called me to see how many I could do. I already had a 65 ton crane set up so told them to put a dumpster at every job, they did and we took trees of of 10 houses that day, everything went in the dumpsters and of to the next job. That was my best pay day ever, made something like $15K

I'm firmly of the opinion that if one is wanting to haul a lot of brush, then the only way is to have the capacity to choker your loads. It's my mantra that brings me peace, "choker your loads...choker your loads"....

Yes, required is some lifting device to cinch up the wire choker around the bundle of brush, then lift the bundle into whatever is hauling it. We use a small truck mounted UNIC, or crane. I know it might be asking too much to have that capacity right away, but if hauling brush for the long term is planned, it really seems something to shoot for. You can just pack so much more in that way. Without tight bundles, so much of what gets hauled is air in-between.

We bucked brush in the chip truck today as a matter of fact. The job was outside my normal turf. Not much brush to deal with so I opted out of dragging the chipper. With a sturdy sized saw and a small bar we were able to buck that brush down to nothing in the truck.

It's amazing what you can do. I can cut a 4 or 5 foot high stack down to 2 feet or less. But, it's about the most dangerous type of cutting possible.

I hate seeing my groundman buck brush. I ride his butt pretty bad about watching his feet and legs. I prefer to do it. Id rather get hurt then see my right hand man hurt.

It's amazing what you can do. I can cut a 4 or 5 foot high stack down to 2 feet or less. But, it's about the most dangerous type of cutting possible.

So very true especially in a metal dump truck, vigilance always. It scares me to see a novice in the back of a truck with a newly bought saw cutting that shite for the first time I am always looking for kickback or total loss of control. Cool thread, cool forum sorry I did not get involved before. I will make up for it now.

Ha I had to laugh about ole Tom about 20 years ago .He started out with a hundred dollar Craftsman /Poulan saw and a pick up truck with plywood side boards .

My goodness could he stuff the brush in that top heavy thing .He could only go about 25 MPH for fear he'd tip it over .Wibble wobble and down the road he went ,slowly .:lol:

I've used a dumpster once, only to dispose of stuff that was piled in a customers yard that was too dirty to chip. Fortunately we had a skid steer to load the dumpster with....got it packed to the top.

This is what I use when I have to do a pesky clean up job:

545839_10150712638534844_472911063_n.jpg

532264_10150712638589844_771143760_n.jpg

And this is the most awesome and easy thing about the way I do it. I lay 2 5" truckers straps lengthwise down the bed, stack the brush and wood on then throw the strap over the top, hook on to it with my little toyota, and pull it out. I lop it all down really well so it rolls out nicely, kinda like a hay bale...works great. Poor mans dump bed. It works til I have enough money saved for a chipper...or til I am busy enough to only do the takedown and let somebody else clean up the mess :)

251350_10150201734494844_358636_n.jpg

When I worked out of a pickup I always ran some rope around the permiter of the floor of the pickup bed. I'd back up to a tree with my brush on, tie the rope to the tree, then drive forward. Empty truck.

Nice idea, rolling it out with lengthwise straps.

I guess a guy could take this approach...LOL!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kvms4sP7CLk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kvms4sP7CLk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I really do think that guy is from Mars :)

yeah, a buddy of mine uses his dump trailer for brush and I've been surprised at times in the past that the damn trailer hitch or something associated didn't shear off from the immense pull it took to get the brush out.:|:

Must be nice living in Montana, eh??

I love Montana. But then again, I love all the other places I have been in my travels as well. I am here for a while, and it is a good place to be :)

Back