Trees in dumpsters

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Has anyone used a dumpster to remove brush and logs?

I looked into renting one, they can deliver a rolloff dumpster, 30 & 40 yard versions, and pick it up for around $400, including disposal.

How much tree can you really fit in a 30yd box without chipping? I know what 30 yards of chips or wood looks like but assuming you were to drag or lower brush into it, and then get in there with a chainsaw and dice it up it seems like you could fit a considerable amount of tree in one?

The doors open at the end right? I can just walk right into it yes?

Does that price seem really high? It seems somewhat expensive to me...

Im not sure that this is a viable solution but a lot of the calls for sidework I have been getting are people that seem to ignore the text in my ads stating, specifically, that I dont remove wood or brush. If its something I thought could work I could keep it in reserve for a time when I get a job it would fit..

Have them drop it right next to the tree lower the brush in slash it down and then chunk logs into it. Blow off saw chips. Collect check and leave. You can fit some good size trees into the 40 yard dumpsters

Get in that dumpster and buck the brush down and you'll fit a LOT of tree in there. Logs on top. I'd bomb stuff right on in there if I could. If the job is big enough and pays enough, you could chip into that sucker with a rented chipper.

Get in that dumpster and buck the brush down

That's the only time I wish I had a pair of chaps. I LOL @ guys using a small saw to do it.

Gimme a 044 and step back... I'll turn that mess into chips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
See I am thinking that you could fit a LOT of tree in there as well. I just dont kow how much. I would hate to sell a job, do the job and then not be able to get it all in there being left with debris that I have to eat my profit up to get rid off.

Well i just looked at a few more it seems like the 40yds are $500, I must have seen the 30yd for $400... I think the 40 yd would be neccesary just for the height.

10 yard dumpsters - 12.5' L x 6.5' W x 4.5' H
20 yard dumpsters - 23.5' L x 8.0' W x 4.5' H
30 yard dumpsters - 23.5' L x 8.0' W x 6.5' H
40 yard dumpsters - 23.5' L x 8.0' W x 8.5' H

Dude you can fit a helluva lot of tree in a 30 yard container. If you come up short, just toss a match in that sucker.

Yeah, that still leaves the brush. I have been looking at picking up a dump trailer but there arent any good used ones at reasonable prices available in my area.

Realistically too I dont have anywhere to put another vehicle/trailer. I am working for the man 6 days a week and only able to do sidework one day a week really. I think If I could line up removals in the $1500 dollar range that would fit in a 30-40yd that I could make the cost work. Additionally i think if able to get the box right under a front yard tree it would make it really easy and be a big time saver.

The trick would be figuring out how much brush I can get it what size box so I could order the smallest neccesary. I could always move wood out with my pickup if I couldnt make it all fit.

Yup. If you're only picking jobs one day a week I'd pass on the clean-up myself and take the ocassional day off if the right jobs don't come along.

If you do some jobs with a roll-off and you are looking at bringing it in on someone's lawn consider the impact/access. Roll-offs are not light and depending on the operator can tear sh-t up dropping it off and picking it up.

I was thinking plywood...

BUT..." If you're only picking jobs one day a week I'd pass on the clean-up myself and take the ocassional day off if the right jobs don't come along." I may just take that advice

I have to agree with Butch. I own no chipper, there is only one on the island so this concept of ramming a truck with brush and the slicing and dicing then packing logs on top is my daily grind. Except that now the groundies have taken over that chore so I am kinda a prima donna climber if ya can call it that. Here is a pic of a fully loaded 6 metre dimp truck. Nissan Diesel. Six loads will move a fair sized tree. The recycling dump is never far away on such a small island ( 166 square miles ). IMG01795-20120116-1257.jpg

IMG00871-20111211-1025.jpg IMG00878-20111211-1147.jpg I am not sure Butch but that was the last load of a 6 load Flamboyant removal so those are the last of the log because a full load is a good set of green under that which raises the level. Can't seem to find another worthy pic but here is it being loaded with green from a 50 yr old mango tree ( fruit ). That green is hell packs like bed springs on steroids. Lots of cutting and dicing.

Yeah, that still leaves the brush.

Of course, but its half your problem eliminated. The heavy half. Just sync up with a small tree outfit nearby and have them chip your brush. No container sitting and killing the lawn. When I started I bucked all my removals into a pickup. It was a dreadful chapter of my life. DREADFUL. When that grew old, I just started having another guy with a truck and chipper swing by my jobs and run the brush through, and the firewood scavengers took the wood. I made money doing it that way believe it or not.

I like the match in the dumpster idea :lol::lol::lol: would probably need some diesel if it were a live tree removal. Not around here though....its dry and Fort Collins is burnin up not too far away.

Back