Tree Service Websites

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
For those that have a website, have you seen results from the investment? Increased call volume? Do you see a good amount of website traffic?

I'm considering having a website made later in the year. Word of mouth is my bread and butter, but I have downsized with yellow pages in the last 2 years and want to make my business internet friendly.

Do it. The days of paper advertising are coming to an end. You dont wanna be left behind.

My website drove in a lot of business, not as much as the phone book, but times are changing.

Every bit important is your search engine rating. With a good rating, when people search for tree services in your area, you want to come up at the top of the list. That will get you the most out of your website and drive the most people to your site, provided the your site is user friendly and doesnt drive people away.
Id consider putting a good investment amount into it. Pay a pro to build it and rank it with the search engines. Most tree guys build these DIYer sites with virtually no ranking with the search engines; the result no traffic! Then they wonder why its not paying them back.

Its all about the search engine. Shoppers dont search by website name. They search for "tree services" or "tree trimming" or "tree removal" in their area via google (or whatever other engine they use). With a site properly set up, you'll rank accordingly based on key words they use in the search.

An example, our website uses the term "tree trimming". Any good arb knows that trees are pruned and not trimmed. But people search for trimming and not pruning. That simple little change has increased our traffic quite a bit.

Id recommend having a pro do it. It may cost you a few grand initially, but in the long run will be well worth it, IMO.

Top nailed it.

I don't think you need to consider if a website will payoff or not. In this day and age it just is something to have. Giving out your business card with a website address on it just gives more umph. A blog is an alternative, something that you can easily do yourself, showing recent work pics and commentary, and if you want, can set it up to allow comments from viewers. I don't think a website needs to be so slick, just some decent representation will serve, it isn't so much that folks are buying right off the site, but hopefully it gets them more interested for an estimate. My 2...

I agree with Top also, internet and phonebook are running neck and neck this year

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a consultation with Cleverfish Media this week. I am not in a position to pull the trigger right now, but i want to get a feel for the cost and make a move when I can.

WWW.cleverfish.com

Spring is a springin!

Another thought. With all the smart phones in use today, a simple, clean and crisp mobile website may benefit you as well. Most websites have way too much data and too many functions to work well on a mobile device like a smart phone. A dumbed down version for easy viewing on a smart phone may also pay off. Ive no experience having a mobile site, but the concept is the same. Useability would be even more critical for a mobile device. I know when I use my phone to browse, I steer clear of overly complex sites that are not set up for mobile use. They take too long to load and are too difficult to navigate.

This is strong advice fellas. I'm eating it up.

We have our reputation in the communities I serve, and business is stable and thriving. But my gut tells me now is the time to push more and not just take what I can get. My goal for this year is to have a strong web presence.

We get more and more comments on our website every year since we started. I also pick up on things that customers will say to me and I know they saw it on our website or Facebook Page. I couldn't imagine being in business right now without Facebook and our website.

I like that idea of a mobile site. I will have to look into that as well (this post was typed on my phone).

What John is talking about is SEO or search engine optimization. Besides giving someone your web address personally there are two main ways of driving traffic, or hits. SEO or SEM, search engine marketing.

Most of the 3 majors, Google, Bing, and yahoo, work the same way, for our discussion I am going to focus on Google. SEO affects your 'search rank' or where you show up on the page for a given search term, or keyword (tree service, tree removal, ne pennsylvania tree service etc.) SEO is something that can be done in the creation phase of web design, building your site so it indexes correctly, and is viewed by the search engines correctly and efficiently. SEO ranking also extends into inbound links, which is other sites linked to yours based on other keywords etc. You can pay for links or get them from other industry partners, news stories, blogs etc. (even the house).

An internet marketing firm or SEO firm can execute a plan that attacks these and other options for increasing your page rank. Ultimately you want to show up on the first page of Google for your given keywords. (tree service, tree removal, ne pennsylvania tree service etc.)

SEM is another story. When you search Pennsylvania Tree service http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Pennsylvania+Tree+service&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 You see these ads

Local Tree Services | ServiceMagic.com
www.servicemagic.com/
Find Locally Rated Tree Services. Get Free Estimates. Visit Us Today!
1,179 people +1'd ServiceMagic

Local Tree Services | yellowpages.com
www.yellowpages.com/
Find Area Tree Services & Arborists Removal, Cutting, Tree Care.

or sponsored links. This is PPC or pay per click marketing, when a user searches a given keyword, Google shows them ads that have that keyword indexed to it. The advertiser, you, doesnt pay anything for me to see the ad, only if I click it. Click costs range between $.05 all the way up to $50+ for "mesothilioma" and related terms. "Car insurance" falls somewhere around $5. I would imagine "tree service" or related terms are $.05-$.20 / click. If you look into it Google Adwords has all sorts of resources availiable
http://www.google.com/ads/adwords2/

Setup is free and you can easily put budget restraints of as little as you like. Weekly, daily and monthly limits are availiable, they will help you select keywords based on your business and there are actually classes you can take for free online to learn more about managing your own adwords acct. Customers can actually be 'chosen' on many factors including zip code, city, and all sorts of stuff.

You can pay a SEM/SEO firm to manage all this for you or you can do it yourself.

My advice would be to make an investment in proper SEO, which if done right should last and hold value. You can update it as things change but good SEO at first is a cornerstone as John mentioned. Follow it up with self managed SEM using adwords. Dont pay someone to manage it, try it yourself and if you are overwhelmed look into a firm.

Here is a resource for Adwords professionals, you can easily take the free courses and become an expert yourself
http://www.google.com/adwords/professionals/individual.html

If you want to really track your advertising sources look into call tracking
www.mongoosemetrics.com

Orange Soda is well respected SEO/SEM Firm
http://www.orangesoda.com

There is obviously room for you in the local SEM market. NO OTHER tree services showed up for "PA tree service" I would imagine that with the location based searches you would likely be the top sponsored link with correct bidding at a reasonable cost.

Remember, all the SEO & SEM in the world wont do you any good if people get to your site and leave. You need to capture them, then their info, drive a call, ask for a web submission...

Whoever you go with for design or seo/sem, If they dont talk the talk and seem passionate, find someone else.

Look at other tree services sites, be prepared with specific examples, links or printouts of both what you like and dont like. Ask family, family, friends, women, and people that are not tree guys. Tree guys dont hire other tree guys so our opinions of your site might not reflect the customer base.

I honestly believe that there is a huge market for SEM/adwords in our business. Most markets are devoid of it, I have done a bit of research, and most people wouldnt think of doing anything other than searching 'pittsburgh tree removal' or 'cleveland tree service'. Go for it.

Jeez Bonner, is there much you don't know about? That is great information. I had some bozo working for me talk me into a site and now I am left cleaning up shop since he bailed for a girl. I will look into much more of this now. Thanks

What John is talking about is SEO or search engine optimization. Besides giving someone your web address personally there are two main ways of driving traffic, or hits. SEO or SEM, search engine marketing.

Most of the 3 majors, Google, Bing, and yahoo, work the same way, for our discussion I am going to focus on Google. SEO affects your 'search rank' or where you show up on the page for a given search term, or keyword (tree service, tree removal, ne pennsylvania tree service etc.) SEO is something that can be done in the creation phase of web design, building your site so it indexes correctly, and is viewed by the search engines correctly and efficiently. SEO ranking also extends into inbound links, which is other sites linked to yours based on other keywords etc. You can pay for links or get them from other industry partners, news stories, blogs etc. (even the house).

An internet marketing firm or SEO firm can execute a plan that attacks these and other options for increasing your page rank. Ultimately you want to show up on the first page of Google for your given keywords. (tree service, tree removal, ne pennsylvania tree service etc.)

SEM is another story. When you search Pennsylvania Tree service http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Pennsylvania+Tree+service&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 You see these ads

Local Tree Services | ServiceMagic.com
www.servicemagic.com/
Find Locally Rated Tree Services. Get Free Estimates. Visit Us Today!
1,179 people +1'd ServiceMagic

Local Tree Services | yellowpages.com
www.yellowpages.com/
Find Area Tree Services & Arborists Removal, Cutting, Tree Care.

or sponsored links. This is PPC or pay per click marketing, when a user searches a given keyword, Google shows them ads that have that keyword indexed to it. The advertiser, you, doesnt pay anything for me to see the ad, only if I click it. Click costs range between $.05 all the way up to $50+ for "mesothilioma" and related terms. "Car insurance" falls somewhere around $5. I would imagine "tree service" or related terms are $.05-$.20 / click. If you look into it Google Adwords has all sorts of resources availiable
http://www.google.com/ads/adwords2/

Setup is free and you can easily put budget restraints of as little as you like. Weekly, daily and monthly limits are availiable, they will help you select keywords based on your business and there are actually classes you can take for free online to learn more about managing your own adwords acct. Customers can actually be 'chosen' on many factors including zip code, city, and all sorts of stuff.

You can pay a SEM/SEO firm to manage all this for you or you can do it yourself.

My advice would be to make an investment in proper SEO, which if done right should last and hold value. You can update it as things change but good SEO at first is a cornerstone as John mentioned. Follow it up with self managed SEM using adwords. Dont pay someone to manage it, try it yourself and if you are overwhelmed look into a firm.

Here is a resource for Adwords professionals, you can easily take the free courses and become an expert yourself
http://www.google.com/adwords/professionals/individual.html

If you want to really track your advertising sources look into call tracking
www.mongoosemetrics.com

Orange Soda is well respected SEO/SEM Firm
http://www.orangesoda.com

There is obviously room for you in the local SEM market. NO OTHER tree services showed up for "PA tree service" I would imagine that with the location based searches you would likely be the top sponsored link with correct bidding at a reasonable cost.

Remember, all the SEO & SEM in the world wont do you any good if people get to your site and leave. You need to capture them, then their info, drive a call, ask for a web submission...

Whoever you go with for design or seo/sem, If they dont talk the talk and seem passionate, find someone else.

Look at other tree services sites, be prepared with specific examples, links or printouts of both what you like and dont like. Ask family, family, friends, women, and people that are not tree guys. Tree guys dont hire other tree guys so our opinions of your site might not reflect the customer base.

I honestly believe that there is a huge market for SEM/adwords in our business. Most markets are devoid of it, I have done a bit of research, and most people wouldnt think of doing anything other than searching 'pittsburgh tree removal' or 'cleveland tree service'. Go for it.

Do you mind posting what came up in your organic listing for "PA tree service"

When I did the search, both of my domains did pretty well in the organic listing but I'm curious if they are the same for someone else.

My website brings in >75℅ of my work.

Do you mind posting what came up in your organic listing for "PA tree service"

When I did the search, both of my domains did pretty well in the organic listing but I'm curious if they are the same for someone else.

My website brings in >75℅ of my work.

www.pennsylvaniatreeservice.com/
uscity.net/pennsylvania/Tree_Service/Listings
www.pauljohnstreeservice.com/
www.servicemagic.com
www.ricksexperttreeservice.com/
www.statecollegetreeremovalservices.com/
www.savatree.com/tree-service-pa.html
www.mmtreeservice.com/
www.bootroadtree.com/
straubtreeexperts.com/

I haven't checked any links yet. Ground stumps today and smashed out a sidewalk with a sledge hammer and shoveled 4 yards of dirt into place where the sidewalk was. I'm beat tired.

That's great info Bonner has posted for us all...now let me throw some cold water :). The SEM search listing automatically get skipped by this old curmudgeon...I NEVER click them, skip straight to the sites that come up by SEO. I want a site ranked by use, not by having paid for front page listing. Just my orneryness, I suppose, but I know I'm not alone.

That's great info Bonner has posted for us all...now let me throw some cold water :). The SEM search listing automatically get skipped by this old curmudgeon...I NEVER click them, skip straight to the sites that come up by SEO. I want a site ranked by use, not by having paid for front page listing. Just my orneryness, I suppose, but I know I'm not alone.

For the most part I skip them too... but 28 billion dollars in annual AdWords revenue shows that people do click them

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdWords

Sent from my C771 using Tapatal

Back