Tree felling vids

I've barberchaired an Alder that was butted up that same way, which controlled it plenty, it still hinged, and fell without incident, with me plenty out of the way. IIRC, my hinge was in front of the pith, where I believe it split. Gerry, you've mentioned very deep cutting of barberchair prone trees. I wonder if this gets the hinge deeper than the pith, at least in most cases.

I've been wanting to start a barberchair thread, but haven't gone down that rabbit hole, yet.

Sean said, "Gerry, you've mentioned very deep cutting of barberchair prone trees. I wonder if this gets the hinge deeper than the pith, at least in most cases."

It certainly helps, Sean, but like most things in this trade sawing deep undercuts into head leaners comes with its own caveats. Most obvious is the method can trap the saw if you're not quick on the draw. It's more like working the face in deeper and deeper. It's a lot of work. Watch the tree. It will move more towards the face the the deeper you work it in.

You got to go beyond the pith or the tree could barber-chair anyway. Saw the corners ta boot

Remember, the technique increases the tension and pressure forces in what wood is left of the stump. Which could end up pulling the roots that are still holding the tree up.

Plus, there's little to no directional control.

I've mentioned before that the technique can eventually collapse the tree. Goes over like a pussy cat.

It's true, but there are easier ways of dealing with head-leaners. Still, everyone that cuts trees for a living should try it just to get the feel and learn the in's and out's of what's possible.

I used the technique a few times to fell trees that were supporting windfalls. They weren't really head leaners but they had the same forces working on them. With the added feature of another tree in the fray.

Tricky scenarios. Each one.

Did that have a face in it? Looked like just cut straight through and expected to wedge it where he wanted it to go.

I'm about to plant 40,000 of them, they'll look dead until spring.
Makes it kinda hard to judge the quality of the seedlings.
On spruce and fir you can tell by the color of the needles if they are in good shape, Larch just looks like little sticks.

I'm guessing from that stupid wedge, that the video is from central Europe somewhere.

That larch felling is strange...I'm not sure how you could sever a tree of that size like that and not have your saw get bound. Maybe with enough reaming...but that supposes a skill it seems unlikely for that person to have. And what made the tree just stand there on the stump rather than tipping some whichaway until the wedge was whacked?

Back