Tree felling vids

Agreed. If he survived that fall, learning from it could save his life in the future.

No.
Ever see anybody trying to give them self a root canal job?

For some reason people think the work we do could be done by any homeowner.
Why should I feel bad when they learn otherwise?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XS-nr2HgWVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Hi guys. One of felling last week

Along the lines of what Dan says about reducing fibers, if its valuable wood with forward lean or you are pulling, you want to eliminate the potential for wood pull from the center of the tree that will reduce the value of the log.

Never seen this step back cut before the trip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b4L-CYtf7Bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would think corks in that setting would be unnecessary.

Anyway, I didn't see what it is good for either but another link to a logger wade vid explains how the step can help prevent barber chair. It makes sense although if you are already plunge cutting and then with a back release, that is usually plenty afaik to prevent BC. But one possible advantage Wade points out is that when plunging, you don't have to take a lot of care to make sure the hinge is thin enough because the step back cut is going to work to prevent BC even if the hinge is a tad too thick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8wsTUafsxqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Logger Wade. He makes some interesting videos. I've actually tried that lock method before. Not sure how much it will prevent a barber chair. But I do see how it will hold it long enough to get out of dodge. Just a little more insurance I guess.

Sure does seem like it holds the tree to the stump longer. Not much wood at all left in the back before those little trip cuts to set it free. Normally with a straight cut to the back, with only that much wood left holding it, I think the tree would pull out.

Sure does seem like it holds the tree to the stump longer. Not much wood at all left in the back before those little trip cuts to set it free. Normally with a straight cut to the back, with only that much wood left holding it, I think the tree would pull out.

That's an interesting observation... Always tough to tell what exactly is going on in video, especially with lean and grade issues ... perhaps the lock did act to hold the tree back... I do something similar in the tree... I would guess though that it was more of an illusion and the friction at the lock would not impact the timing of the fall..

With a normal bore cut and back release, won't that prevent barber chair?

Sure, as long as you cut the hinge up thin enough.

Actually if the hinge was left too thick with the silly step back cut thingy it would still barberchair.

With a normal bore cut and back release, won't that prevent barber chair?

You would think so but maybe things are different in the woods, where there be old snags that are ready to explode... not my world.. give them the benefit of the doubt, figure they know what they are doing.. would like to understand the exact why of it for the rare time the need might come up in a backyard

The ones that get me are when something goes wrong, like the tree sets back, people will know that they are in trouble but just keep on going.

Watch the next part!! The last clip of about six big trees falling across a highway right in front of the cars!!!

That was definitely worth the watch.

Can you imagine being up in the tree when the wires were shorting!!:\:

Back