Tree felling vids

Idk about that but I do find his use of a relatively short bar in that situation rather compelling.

I remember we talked quite a bit about this vid when it was first published. I think that the quarter cutting of the tree was to prevent splitting, as euc regnant is famous for doing so, even with a bore release cut.

I don't follow that...does that mean a short bar means you are less likely to accidentally cut your lanyard?

No I don't think it has a bearing on lanyard safety. I meant that taking a big top like that with a bar that won't reach thru, especially with a splitting-prone euc, takes a lot of experience/expertise as well as nerve. Of course you could probably argue the shorter bar has certain advantages over the longer bar.

I remember we talked quite a bit about this vid when it was first published. I think that the quarter cutting of the tree was to prevent splitting, as euc regnant is famous for doing so, even with a bore release cut.

Good info.

This has been posted before, probably more than once, but because it is one of the best of all time, lets roll:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KxGVAgXx6Oo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seems weird to put sapwood kerf cuts below the lanyard/ climb line height, around 2:24, where he rolls around that backcut.

I see the rip strip but aren't kerf cuts meant to stop that ripping? Also I don't see the cuts.

Right where the bark peel stops, there is a small horizontal kerf. Normally, they are placed above the climbing system, closer to the felling cuts.

Obviously, he knows something we don't. Euc pro's, chime in!

Ok I see it now, that does seem crazy-low for a cut like that. Who knows what arcane tricks Grahme pulls out every other day

Jim, here is the vid he did that is arguably the grandaddy of all tree vids. Posted and discussed heavily previously. You will probably get a kick out of it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6hEfav9ZwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think he just kept it simple with the cut, and light with the saw. It looked like a good head lean but not huge. Didn't need a special cut. Looked like he pushed the bar tip in to prevent any splitting, and left the sides where the best holding wood is. It's a good vid though. I'd have likened to see a ground perspective.

Funny thing in the Tasmania video Grahem doesn't hang his saw on his saddle rather then dropping it and let it hang below him. Seems like a lot of extra effort pulling it up for each cut.
Saw a safety video opnce where a climber had his saw hang like that and when a cut piece of wood fell on it, the saw swung wildly in an arc over him. On the second rotation it hit him in the back of the head.

Back