Tree felling vids

That was a bad ass cut with the 200!!! Great vid. Nice find.
I like the carving as well. Once I started watching I had to see what he was doing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2a1QISYNGHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is a stipulation in the books about being tyed in 2wice,funny to see them going over the "activity hazard analysis" sheet. Good video,gritty for sure lol

That grittiness for sure was cool. Between the high resolution and what they chose to show, I haven't often seen such a cool tree vid.

It was suggested by one viewer that the twigs jammed between the cable and u bolt were so the u bolt could be cut out when done without cable damage.

Did you see the little modification he put on the yarder controls to accommodate the hook. Gawd he must be a tough ol bird.

Cory TIT=tied in twice. For cutting, I've never seen it done in the woods. Ever for just going up a spar.

I must've missed the twigs jammed in the clamp part? I did see a bunch of clamps being tightened. Lots of guy line action in the vid, that's what those 'little' notches were for obviously. Not captured in the vid is that when making those little notches if they have bypasses in the cuts it can become a chore and a half to unrig the guy if it's been pulled on hard.

I never worked anywhere in the woods that had a tophandle saw. made me somewhat jealous to see how well equipped that climber rigger was. And how much help he had. Envision I would at times rig a spar by myself.
Neat video but I agree, never seen a hooker that well equipped both climbing gear and saw.
Ahh. I've never done that, securing guy lines however they were with those horseshoe nails into the tree? I figured it to be a temporary thing?
We never really guyed lift trees either, nor set horseshoe nails or cable clamps to hold lines in place.
Looked kinda flat for yarder logging but I suppose that was a right of way they were cutting and needed to cross the creek. Explains the lift tree as well.

We guyed every spar but always by wrapping the cables, pulling tight and taking up all the slack we could and then cable clamping them. I've seen many a guyed spar fail and lots of times the guys getting pulled on hard. Had to wrap them properly to avoid cutting in/burying the cable on itself. Usually three guys, but only two if we thought we could get away with it.

We occasionally wished we'd guyed them. Another thing that got my attention was that rotten old tail hold

Another thing that got my attention was that rotten old tail hold

Me too. It showed the scary power of the yarder.

Pulling over a tail hold tree generally makes the hook tender's head explode

Maybe but normally its blamed on the rigging slinger ime

Sometimes it's no ones fault. I've worked many times where the tail hold would be guyed, sometimes with multiple guys. Same with yarder guy line stumps. Do whatever you gotta do to make it hold.

But when it goes, "GODDAMN THAT TURN WAS TOO BIGGGGG ....ARRRRGHGH"

Ha ha ha. Oh I've seen cables fly, and it may have been my fault once or twice.

Wildest thing I ever seen was a guy run the turn(cycle of choked logs) right into the carriage. It was an intermediate setting so down over a 'hump' so the harder is out of sight and the yarderman is operating blind, depending on the hooktender. Well as the mainline snapped the hook tender had finally got the carriage to unclamp from the sky and that thing took off like a rocket downhill. Thank god I was off pre-rigging the next setting but I remember the noise of that carriage accelerating freewheeling down the sky and saw it hit the bottom spar tree and blow that tree apart. Oh man I thank my lucky stars I had nothing at all to do with that screw up. I asked the guy running the hill why he didn't reclamp to sky when he saw what had happened. He panicked he said. Lame.

Back