Tree felling vids

Mad dull saws. Those guys didn't look highly skilled. That guy with the wedges on the second tree, he was begging to have his shins cut off. Monster freakin trees!

I'm thinking Cryptomeria, not cedar ( Jay??)

Those would be trees in a temple or shrine's ground. Very unusual to have them cut. I've done a number of them, always enjoyable tasks, but with the protection afforded, it normally takes definite reasons and a lot of getting permission from some "high authority" to allow it. A good likelihood that the lumber will be used to build a new structure, hence the removals, it gets done about every three hundred years or so. I agree, even by Japanese frenetic standards, the guy running under the direction of the lay was nuts. Lots of jumping around and hyper saw use, jacked up on green tea perhaps. They did get it done, but perhaps your more southern
style. :D

Cryptomeria (Japanese Sugi). Certainly a valuable tree in the vid, but a a Cypress that size would be worth something astronomical. Beautiful creamy coloured and wonderfully grained wood for interiors, the local Cypress.

Got any pictures of those and what you've done with the wood, Jay?

I'm ever anxious to learn about trees and wood, you know.

Also looking at your work is always good.

Stig, you must mean the Hinoki Cypress. By interiors I meant architectural work, it is really a bit too soft for furniture. I mean you could use it, and occasionally people do for simple things, but it will scratch up readily. For architectural surfaces that don't receive harsh wear, it really takes on a shine, especially if people bother to rub it now and again. The finest material has very tight grain. Also a good wood for bath tubs or items in baths. Sometimes you see it used for counters at sushi places and for those square saki cups you have probably seen. It can yield a very clear material free of knots. Knots aren't appreciated in the best of work has always been the thought. I pulled this photo off the web, it appears to be a Hinoki interior, including the floor. It would also smell very nice in that room, the wood has a refreshing menthol type fragrance. A nice even textured wood to work with. You see turnings done with it as well.

Attachments

• 13feb14-nagoya-castle-japan-016-1.jpg
    13feb14-nagoya-castle-japan-016-1.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 96
Frigging awesome Pete. Nice find. That's what I did, only I'm better looking and was more buff than those wusses. Lol.

Excellent video...thanks. I learned a way to carry a scrench into the tree (tucked in Caddi straps).

No TIT for that climber.

Let's see if Vimeo will embed:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/86634635" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/86634635">Skyline Logging - Alternative Forest Operations</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user25068221">Alternative Forest Operations</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Wow that vid was packed!! The filmmaker definitely was after, and got, the nitty gritty stuff.

The climber is most definitely a short bar acolyte, plus he's got some cool custom gear like the axe with the eye, and storing his scrench in the caddy pads. Interesting rigging gear used, Ive never seen that bar that gets captured in the circle ring on the choker set up, looks simple and fast. Why'd they jam twigs inside the u bolt that held the wire guys in place at base of trees, for better purchase?? Interesting chain grab technique to pull cable with.

I presume that is virgin timber they are working in, sure is/was a beautiful spot. Why do they log right up to the river and stream, isn't that a no no in the US of A?

Cory TIT=tied in twice. For cutting, I've never seen it done in the woods. Ever for just going up a spar.

I must've missed the twigs jammed in the clamp part? I did see a bunch of clamps being tightened. Lots of guy line action in the vid, that's what those 'little' notches were for obviously. Not captured in the vid is that when making those little notches if they have bypasses in the cuts it can become a chore and a half to unrig the guy if it's been pulled on hard.

I never worked anywhere in the woods that had a tophandle saw. made me somewhat jealous to see how well equipped that climber rigger was. And how much help he had. Envision I would at times rig a spar by myself.

Ahh. I've never done that, securing guy lines however they were with those horseshoe nails into the tree? I figured it to be a temporary thing?

It was on the tip of my tongue, the TITS. Thx

Good screen shot, Gary

Squish, twice after they tightened up u bolts cable clamps, they beat on them some with a hammer, wonder what that was about.

Thats weird they are so into safety that they have guys sign off on the safety issues before the job, then they let a guy limb up and top a spar with one tie in:?

Back