Tree felling vids

That's not a thicket actually. It's a bit of thorns by mostly the tops of small downed trees that we laid down. It's a fence line of a farm. The pipelines we are cutting sometimes run across farm fields and any trees over 48" tall get the axe.

Fellas, by the way, I did not cut that tree down. That's a local logger you see there that I'm in on this project with. I should have clarified it wasn't a glory shot of me.

Don't you DARE dis my maul, Sean!

This maul belonged to the renowned treefaller who taught me logging back in the 70es.
He inherited it from his dad, who also spent his life logging, and having only daughters, who for some weird reason, didn't become loggers, he passed it on to me, when he retired.
I have promised it to Richard, my partner, when I have felled my last tree.

This maul is close to 100 years old.

Imagine the amount of trees it has knocked over and the amount of firewood it has split!

No diss. I have a maul for pounding. I am surprised a bit is all. Great story. Do you carry that while felling in the woods?

With a big old open face notch too. West coasters would have been rioting.

Hahahahaha, "Rioting" that hit the funny bone too!!
Hahahahaha, that's a funny picture. Just pictured Willie and Jerry, and a hundred other red flannels, throwing Molotov cocktails and tipping over cars.
Hahahahaha. . . Sigh, . .this has all been worth my naive offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:argue:

Man oh man, this path has been worn down to bedrock, eh?
:D.

Whoops, didn't know, honestly thought I was on to something. : )
Which makes it somehow funnier to me, ha.
The German guy cutting the weird face cut re-triggered it for me. You have to admit, he would have been better off if he were able to stay on the high side, via . . . another saw in the truck with a bit longer bar on it (not trying to hit the dead pony again.)

No diss. I have a maul for pounding. I am surprised a bit is all. Great story. Do you carry that while felling in the woods?

It is no heavier than an axe..........5,2 pds is all.

The handle is thin enough to be a bit flexible, so it absorbs recoil well. That way your hands don't get all vibrated to pieces when you are beating wedges a lot.

Last week I was felling a bunch of mature beech up the sides of a draw. since they were seed trees, there was no way to pull them, and they'd all decided that going into the draw was more fun than up.

Had to start them up with 4 hardhead wedges to get them to lift, and I spent about 4 hours pounding wedges that day.
That is not normal, but we do spend a good amount of time hammering every day.
( Had I known those trees were that bad, I'd have sent an employee down to fell them)

I have no count of how many handles I've put on that thing in my time.......................lots.
Recently I came up with a bullet proof vest for it, though, so now the handle should hold up longer.

Coated the first 10" under the head with PU glue, then wrapped a 4mm dyneema line tightly around it, and saturated that with glue.

It has held up really well, not a dent in it after a whole season in the woods.

Of course he would, August.
No way I would have messed around on the underside of that tree like he did.
Always have an extra long bar in the truck.

Like Chris said, we fit the bar length to the job at hand, and don't go around thinking that the length of our bar has any correlation to the lenght of our dick.
We leave that to the West coasters;)

Weak, you shoulda elbowed him outta the way

Two things. Give me credit for not being a phony like half the tree workers that beg about "that giant I just took down today". Also, he's a better faller by a good bit then I am(he is a logger and hand cuts evwvrything. I don't race to get to trees before him. I let him have some seniority and pick what he wants to whack. A third thing, now that I recall, is that tree was LOADED with old high tensile fence wire and barbed wire. The log would pay more at a scrap yard over a saw mill. I can't see swapping or filing out a chain that is cutting good just so I can have the glory of sawing a notch and getting busy at the stump.

Is he the expert cutter you wrote of last weekend?

Hahahahaha, "Rioting" that hit the funny bone too!!
Hahahahaha, that's a funny picture. Just pictured Willie and Jerry, and a hundred other red flannels, throwing Molotov cocktails and tipping over cars.
Hahahahaha. . . Sigh, . .this has all been worth my naive offenses.

Why can't we just tip burning trees over instead? Two birds, one stone? Heck, tip then onto cars if you like.

Recently I came up with a bullet proof vest for it, though, so now the handle should hold up longer.

Coated the first 10" under the head with PU glue, then wrapped a 4mm dyneema line tightly around it, and saturated that with glue.

It has held up really well, not a dent in it after a whole season in the woods.

I kinda like that idea!
Two things. Give me credit for not being a phony like half the tree workers that beg about "that giant I just took down today". Also, he's a better faller by a good bit then I am(he is a logger and hand cuts evwvrything. I don't race to get to trees before him. I let him have some seniority and pick what he wants to whack. A third thing, now that I recall, is that tree was LOADED with old high tensile fence wire and barbed wire. The log would pay more at a scrap yard over a saw mill. I can't see swapping or filing out a chain that is cutting good just so I can have the glory of sawing a notch and getting busy at the stump.
;) where's the fun in that?

.... we fit the bar length to the job at hand, and don't go around thinking that the length of our bar has any correlation to the lenght of our dick.
We leave that to the West coasters;)

Oh my, now that's a deliberate attempt to wake the dead pony up, . . Clydesdale on the west of course, Miniature pony over there : D

August, I love engaging in flagellation of mortuid equines, as long as it is only in fun.
This kind of banter is part of what makes the House special IMO.

Agreed, and may I never step outside the classier realms of perished pony pugilism.

My mentor, Jonothan is working and traveling in Chile with his family for several months. Subscribe to his channel and follow along. He's worked in trees for over 30 years. I am very fortunate to have learned from him. Short vid of tree work in Chile with minimal gear. One rope, one saw.

https://youtu.be/H-ceSmqDt7g

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H-ceSmqDt7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back