Tree felling vids

It's been on here before..."canadiancarguy" put it up on youtube originally I think. Below is from his page. Lots of eco-nazi discussions there too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2n6ccZWvdRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm jelous. Would've been two cuts, five minutes with the chipper, and off to the next one. God I pray that my boss can someday see the value of a crane

It was two picks, just took a minute to rig that top right so we wouldn't have to fight it out of the grove. A guy could remove a crazy amount of trees with a 70T link belt every working day of the year!

... And that last video... that tree was a hog!

I kept waiting for the saw to kick back and lambaste him in the face.

Must be no one could top it...There are much safer ways to turn a tree to keep it from splitting (his explanation for why).

Just gotta know what you're doing when you set a tree up to chase you like a snake to the scene of the accident.

The guy said he buys a new 395 every year, probably because they get crushed on a regular basis. He's fortunate he doesn't get crushed on a regular basis:|:

Actually its very common practice for hardwood loggers to buy a new saw every year if they hand cut all their work.

I hate seeing heartwood get pulled when it doesn't have to, but what went on in that video just seems crazy. When I went to the swamps, some of the locals were commenting on our stumps, and were telling us that they "slick stump", to avoid fiber pull...and I guess this video proves that they weren't kidding. The ones that seemed halfway intelligent, we would try to explain to them that we were not pulling any fiber out of the heart, but could still use our "west coast" humboldt and could still use the sapwood for holding wood.

I used to buy a new chainsaw every year. We were getting paid per thousand board feet, and worked 6 days a week, so it paid off to have good tools...plus we were usually so far from the road, that you didn't want your saw breaking down, unless you were getting flown in, then you would have a spare saw in the woods with you.

I don't get the "to avoid pulling hardwood fibers" thing at all.
Gut the middle of the hinge out, and leave the tree standing on two squares of sapwood as hinge.
I do that most of the time anyway, becasue on broad hardwood trees, you need all the speed you can get, to avoid hanging them up, unless you are clearcutting.
A gutted hinge will steer just as well as a full one, but the tree will gain initial speed better.
Same reason we always gut the hinge when falling a spar. Less work for those pulling on the rope.

Back