Tree felling vids

The boss. Wanted it up the hill. So I made sure he beat plenty too. . Saved er t the bud. 6,290 BD ft. Sitka spruce. I've got the first part I'll post it if I can get back t yt.

His ax. 3 1/2 lb Michigan style. . Yuk!!!

That is the type of tree where I was thinking a big pounder would be nice. Residentially, I use an 8 pound maul on full sized handle, or a large/ ex-large wedge. Sometimes, I happen to have a 4 pound sledge in the truck (maul and sledge were free and are multipurpose).

If a guy holds the big wedge where it can spin a bit, accelerating, between a thumb and fingers, you can get some extra work done (for a 1 pound pounder). If needed, it can be swung (seems like some vibration if trying to hit hard enough to lift). I use this while bucking, when I don't want to ream a cut, nor carry a pounder of some sort for top binds where I just want to let the saw weight do the work. As well, I like three wedges for felling then bucking residentially, when using a pull line. Two mediums and the larger one to tap the wedges tight as the pull progresses. Typically, I won't need to wedge hard enough while bucking to justify a pounder more then the big wedge, which fits nicely in the one back pocket , while the two mediums ride in my other back pocket.

I don't like wedge pouches. Again, not walking the woods all day. That's a nice, open ax pouch/ holder. I hate the metal ones I've used.

This winter I'm gonna re design and make a better scabbard for my rig builders/ framers ax. I had a few drop outs in 3 weeks of cutting that unit this early summer. The chain box is nice. Incidently, I should have changed my chain before I started on that spruce. I got into some grit bucking a root off just before I started on that tree. I also pack a fuel up and something to drink on my belt. . For production falling it saves me a lot of walking. . With a blow down patch like that one it really helps.
Just getting around thru the brush in Southeast is pretty arduous and a big spruce can use up a tank of fuel. This job we were working to maximize the timber there for export so I took extra time for lots of things. This 1 tree grosses around 3,000$ so it was worth it to take the extra time. 4 , 12" Hard Heads and 3,15" Double Tapers and a 5 lb rafting ax would have shaved 6 or 7 minutes off the time it took to fall it.

Back when I chopped " armature, competition " beating over a tree was just a little work out. I've got some good strips because the boss knew I would pound the trees up out of a crik or away from the line. . Once I got up outa the criks I was off to the races in 2 bushel hemlock and up to 8 bushel spruce. .

Nice lay, and great vocals Mistahbenn.

Here's an oldie but a goodie...

Nailsbeats

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z2l67aW3Qcg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part ll

Nailsbeats

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P5onrU7GpYY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please be careful free climbing bro. That's probably the easiest way I can think of to leave in a wooden box. Especially when coming over the hump in a tree where it crotches out. Gaffs don't always hit at the right angle and its easy to gaff out in those spots. That and get a hard hat on that one guy. That dead wood will burst and bust his melon.

Now, on a better note. I admire your rigging. Nice and clean. You seem like a heck of a climber. I like how smooth and calculated your rigging is. So many guys rig stuff up in such a way that it behaves like crap on its way down, or swings back into something and gets hung up. Seems like you make the rigging cake for your ground men. Nice removal man. I always like your videos.

Very nice work. The guy with the baseball cap, maybe you could convince him to wear a batting helmet? Just hate to see eggs that might get broken....

Not me guys, not me. I can't take the credit for that one. It's a dude who I've watched for years, his name is Nailsbeats. Tucker you crack me up!

Here's what I was doing 2 days before my surgery..... ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dofFpmBega0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back