tree climbing fail

A lot of issues already mentioned..

I don't like the way he reached around in front as the piece starts going..I've heard of a climber getting his hand pinched in the notch.. also though its been a while, I used to like to brace with two hands, either directly behind or to the side. He was more of on a 45ºangle to the fall.
Great point on the hand Murph, he's fortunate it wasn't completely crushed. If he had been directly behind the spar when the tree recoiled he would most likely be dead. It looks like he still took a shot on the chin as he was spun around on the right side. I don't believe anyone could have rode that bull though, regardless of how they braced.

The whiplash would probably break the bear hug.

I try and relax and ride with it. Not sure how my style would have played out in that instance. Probably just as poorly as any method. That why I don't set myself up for violence like that. No part of a removal should be violent. Sometimes a bit rougher then I prefer, sure. Violent, no.

Along with the size of the piece, it sure seems like using the biner as the terminal rigging point was a major contributor, and something we haven't really touched on. It looked to me like his rigging line snapped at the bend and the sling/hardware shot upward as the tree kicked back. I'm not real clear on the line angles from the video, but it seems like the shape of the tree itself could have led to the massive pitch forward prior to the failure. Certainly an instructive video, a good How Not To Do It. I showed it to some of the guys at work.

I just watched it again, he really got clobbered by his saw, I reckon that's where he got most of his hurt from. Otherwise, if you're going to take a ride, at least he was well secured with his ropes so he was still at the top of the tree when it stopped thrashing around.

Wow...one of the worst I have seen...here it is embedded.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bzd8WtVJVfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same exact thing happened to a guy I work with. Only thing that saved him was the snowdrift he was thrown into. got away with a pretty good egg on his head. Shook him up bad.

....old saying of mine.. "people who do Tree work off of ladders quite often wind up with a bent ladder and a trip to the emergency room".....that one is classic, hope the poor bastid wasn't killed or horribly maimed

With the degree of lateral flight that was involved with that accident, it would seem that the fellow had time to think about what was happening. Showing him hit the ground might have given an idea to the degree of injury. Possibly too graphic.

....watched it again, famous last words about not hitting anybody. Stem on the ground limbed up with running burn pile means they probably did okay earlier. Dude footing the ladder never even budged, dude on ladder got hit directly , hard and fast.... no hard hats or any expertise in video as well. My guess is he was not on the ladder the next day

....old saying of mine.. "people who do Tree work off of ladders quite often wind up with a bent ladder and a trip to the emergency room".....that one is classic, hope the poor bastid wasn't killed or horribly maimed
Yep, Youtube is full of them. I'll use a ladder on rare occasions for access but not to work off of. I always tell my Son, if you see someone on a ladder with a chainsaw, start videoing because odds are, something bad is about to happen.

That was really nasty...

I had a small job, couple of small low limbs in a willow, they were just too high for me to reach but not really high enough to set a line...so I got the A frame ladder climbed up, put my lanyard on the centre D,over a branch and snugged it up, well just after the cuts, the ladder went sideways and I just swung into my harness, then came down like normal...no harm no foul, but no harness and I would have been sore and embarassed!

Good decision tying in with your harness for safety..... :thumbup:;)
You walk away with a job well done rather than limp away, or worse..... :D

Back