Tree climbing certification

Koala

TreeHouser
I was just wondering how is the regulation in other countries...
A new law came out here and it says that every five years a climber has to renew his certification attending a refresher course of eight hours(?????)
For me it's just another way to take the money out of our pocket :/:

Lately they 've been inventing a lot of these courses..such as the bucket truck licence, aerial lift, mini excavator licence ( always eight hours course)...
this is the latest fashion here
Is it the same in the US or in the rest of Europe?

Its not the same here. Anyone with a Hank of true blue can climb. Would not be surprised to see something in the next 4 or 5 years though. A local line clearance guy kilt himself a short while ago. I think there is a place for laws to protect the families and loved ones. 8 hours every five years would seem about right to keep all the wrong people out of the business.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure you're right simplypete
I was just worrin' about the quality of these so-called courses.
For example there are guys that have been using excavators and mini for an entire life (they can lay your table with an excavator...)
Now they need a certification. Sometimes expensive. And usually the guy who has to release the certification and train them is not even able to start a mini up(no kiddin').
something's wrong...or not?

I was just wondering how is the regulation in other countries...
A new law came out here and it says that every five years a climber has to renew his certification attending a refresher course of eight hours(?????)
For me it's just another way to take the money out of our pocket :/:

Lately they 've been inventing a lot of these courses..such as the bucket truck licence, aerial lift, mini excavator licence ( always eight hours course)...
this is the latest fashion here
Is it the same in the US or in the rest of Europe?

Same here in the UK. The refreshers are aimed at those who climb seldom to keep the skills current. Occasional climbers/saw can even be asked to refresh there skills every 3 years, but where the line is drawn is arbitrary and down to the policy of individual companies

In a few short years the voices of dissent will be gone, retired or forced to join the system, this type of legislation is already ingrained in the up and coming and those who should know better.

Nothing here, and ear protectors are just starting to get used.

Some guy from the states living here took a copyright out on the term, 'Tree climbing'. Some business enterprise around it that he is developing, both with recreational climbing and the goods. I know that he gets a lot of handicapped people up in trees, or I guess the correct term is physically impaired now. Never met him, but I did ask a patent attorney how far that copyright would extend. :/:

Back