I found this tree climbing article to be fascinating

Something I occasionally think about, is do arborists climb trees, or do they climb ropes?

For me, it's mostly on the ropes. The tree comes in play as a stabilizing mean, but not quite often as the main support (climbing with slack/loose rope).
Actually, I'm very reluctant to change my holding points during the moves, from the saddle bearing my weight to the hands/feet and the reverse. I guess that I came too late in the trade to have it natural.

With my little knee issue (left one), I climb the rope more than tree. Hard to draw in my leg and extend with any strength. Now, good scaffording where large leg movement is not necessary, climb da tree. Rope is just a safety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re the knee, have you checked out Knees over Toes guy on IG and YT?

He's for real. Simple, safe approach that is effective. My left knee has been a mess since mid twenties, it isn't perfect now but so much better after following Ben. He's different.

I just started skimming through this amazing article and I fell upon these two quotes, part of a small chapter, which really elucidated me insofar as how rock climbing is almost certainly the product of our ancestors (and us tree climbers today) having climbed trees since the beginning of time (relatively speaking)...

"Certainly there is the physical challenge—the satisfaction of problem solving, adventure and testing our limits. And then there is the incredible climbing community that most other sports would be hard-pressed to get anywhere close to. Yet I can’t help but think that in addition to these points, or rather perhaps through them, modern rock-climbing may simply be the product of an innate human capacity and satisfaction in overcoming vertical obstacles—a subconscious nod to our ancestral aptitude for arboreal locomotion; a fulfilment of the part of the human psyche designed to climb trees."

"The need for food gives way to the thrill of adventure and self-discovery; bare feet against mighty tree-trunks become the friction of fingertips on ancient cliff-faces, and as Alex Honnold scales the face of Yosemite’s El Capitan for the hundredth time—this time rope-less—perhaps we see re-incarnate the long-refined physiology and unbreakable psychology that was developed millennia ago in the tree-tops of Africa. Never lost, never replaced: an age-old link to the physicality of our ancestors; a pure freedom and expression of human potential in the wilderness that is our earth."

Great contribution, @cory! I'm going to read all of this over the next few weeks!

Glad you liked it.

Yes I thought is was interesting how he examined rock climbing as an outgrowth of tree climbing. And I also liked the discussion of risk and danger involved- basically the indigenous climbers he was with were so fit, experienced, and skilled that the risk factor was thus minimized and the fairly rare deaths and injuries were accepted as part of the deal. At least I think that's what he was saying:|:

Last edited:
I feel handicapped, both mentally and physically. Even those little childrens are more capable. I thought of gaining at least the basics of natural climbing, even just as a punctual aid to speed/ease some points in day to day climb. But I went nowhere. My hands won't hold, my legs can't push hard enough and my mental blocks me. I found that's way too much to overcome at an age of a declining body. Even if I'm better fit than in my previous life (before tree climbing).

S'all good but ftr how old are ya?

I think the fitness they possess is from daily, non desk-bound use of the human body, in a non-industrial setting. The idea of a gym would probably confuse them :rockhard:

I used to be able to climb smooth bark trees to get to the lower limbs. Last time I tried a few years ago, I got up there, but I got road rash on my thighs, and it took just about everything I had. Stuff I'd look at when I was 24 and think "No problem!" has become a problem. Disappointing.

Back