Tranny/drivetrain troubles

I remember the old 3 on the tree linkage getting worn on my buddies parents Dodge van when I was a kid. They were up in the city stuck in two gears. Me and my bud went up and disconnected the linkage, got it out on the road, and drove it home in second gear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's not a problem .What is a problem is if you catch two gears at the same time .Chevy three speeds with high milage we noted for hanging second and reverse at the same time .People would get frustrated and rev it up and dump the clutch which would strip the second gear off the cluster shaft .It took a three speed to a two speed in about a split second .

Al, does my theory sound plausible? I've talked to two transmission guys and several mechanics. A couple said that was possible, but that it likely would have destroyed a gear or two. The instant it happened, I disengaged the clutch and shifted back to neutral. I know I heard a metallic pop and I know there is no visible damage in the tranny or the rear end. And the transfer case seems fine by hand, in all 4 positions. No grinding or dragging. Shift fork is the only thing I can think of that I heard, and it happened as I rushed the shift from 2nd to 1st while already coming out on the clutch.

Yes as a matter of fact it is possible .I've seen the shifter forks pop out but it was on extremely old truck .

I only had it happen once on an Oliver crawler tractor.That's a different deal though because the design was basically two transmissions within the case case which is kind of hard to explain unless you've seen it .

What could have happened is the gears were not fully engaged and on a high milage unit the leading edges of the movable gears would be rounded over .So when it popped out it jumped the fork . That does make a resounding pop noise .

Thanks, Cory.

Al, does it seem possible that it happened with no resulting damage to the tranny? A buddy stopped and pulled me back out of the Jack's entrance (I had it fully blocked). After he pulled me back, I shifted into 4WD just to see if it was the rear end that had gone. I let out on the clutch just enough to hear the grind and instantly disengaged it again. I'd say total of 3-4 seconds of engaged clutch...when it happened, a quick check of reverse to try to back up, and checking 4WD. If it was in between as I suspect, it never engaged enough to actually damage anything. (I hope).

Now if it locked up forward and you had to pull it in reverse to unstick it most likely is one of the shaft thrust bearings ether is faulty or needs shims removed or added .That's just a general statement because I have no idea how the praticular tranny is made .

However it would seem unlikely unless the truck was used for plowing snow that the gear lash in the tranny got screwed up .

Not locked up at all. And in neutral truck runs fine.

I tried 1, 2, and reverse. Didn't try 3 or 4 so have no idea. But if 1/2 fork was out of collar, the collar could have been pushing on the adjacent gear(s).

Back