Tranny/drivetrain troubles

treesmith

Banned
I am in need of some enlightenment.... I was in my work truck Monday, pulling a trailer of brush. As I started to pull out into the highway, I came out on the clutch, and heard a loud popping noise, along with an awful grinding. Truck would not go forward or backward in any gear. My first thought was clutch, but depressing the pedal disengages and allows gear shifting. Just no pull when you release the clutch. Second thought was ring gear in rear end, but shifting transfer case into 4WD still would not pull. Got it towed home, and started pulling tranny next day. Can't find anything amiss in the transmission. Cant't find anything wrong with the transfer case. I have shifted the tranny through all 5 gears, and reverse. Using channel locks on front and rear shafts, I cannot make it slip. Transfer case works fine in all 4 positions by hand power. I'm wondering if there was some type of failure with the pressure plate/clutch assembly, but can't figure out why it will release to allow shifting, but then won't pull. Also, can't figure out what the metallic pop was, nor what the grinding was. Anybody ever heard of such a thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A friend and I clamped a transmission rear shaft in a vise, dropped the clutch disc onto it and tried our best (together) to spin the clutch. Some free play, but we couldn't get it to spin. His initial thought was that the eye had spun in the clutch. I'm thinking about just sticking a new clutch kit in it and try it out.

I think that was the tranny that had 5th gear issues. Other thought is a shift fork may have broken. Are you certain that it is going into a gear when you move the shift lever? As in jack the rear end up to see if you can turn the tire while in gear?

Yoke on shaft also known as universal joints. Maybe? Or the chain inside the transfer case for the 4wd could have snapped. I'm just saying in my experiance with clutches. they just quit working or slip not grind and hear a shatter noise. Keep me posted i would like to know.

Did the clutch/ pressure plate show any signs of let go. That would justify the metalic grinding noise u heard?

Do you have a borescope Treesmith? I was going to also suggest taking the oil drain plug off the transfer and sticking a bore scope up there and looking around before u go splitting the case on that .

I went by and picked up a slide hammer puller from a friend to get the pilot bearing out...wound up breaking a finger off of it. His dad suggested it sounded like the ring gear in the rear end. Pulled cover plate. All looks fine.

My theory is that when I went to 1st in a hurry and popped the clutch, one of the shift forks sprung out of its gate, thereby having the tranny "between gears". When I took the top off, the overdrive arm (I think that's what it's called) was not lined up with the corresponding gate. I had to use a screwdriver to line them back up before the top would go back on properly. I guess I'm going to take it by and let a transmission guy look at it before I go any further.

Not sure what you mean by "signs of let go". Shows some wear, but it's 4 1/2 years old.

Yep. It has an automatic. Reckon I can live with it... My '98 GMC 1500 Z71 is auto and has given no problems. I prefer manual in a work truck, but none was available.

The '95 has 188k miles on it, 110k since I bought it in January 2000. Not a hiccup in 13.5 years, aside from belt breaking in '09 and it running really hot. I went ahead and rebuilt the engine then. That was 4.5 years and 40k miles ago.

My confidence has been boosted by seeing how Carl's Fords perform.

His 550 has really impressed me. I currently don't need that much truck. Next purchase will be a dump trailer. This truck already has gooseneck hitch in the bed. I'll pull the drop-in liner the dealership put in it and have a spray-in liner sprayed in.

Sweet! Im itching to get an auto myself, tired of shifting gears at work. The bucket truck was my first auto trans, god its nice. Few more months life should be more pleasurable. My blue dumper is sold, auto trans on work trucks here we come!

Good luck with it!

My theory is that when I went to 1st in a hurry and popped the clutch, one of the shift forks sprung out of its gate, thereby having the tranny "between gears".
That's not a problem .What is a problem is if you catch two gears at the same time .Chevy three speeds with high milage we noted for hanging second and reverse at the same time .People would get frustrated and rev it up and dump the clutch which would strip the second gear off the cluster shaft .It took a three speed to a two speed in about a split second .

Back