Training A Crow

Thanks for the comments. One interesting thing about crows that I notice, is that they have a very strong ability to calm themselves. If I have to change it's location, or it goes for a short flight and does a radical nosedive, it will get a little flustered, but in only a few seconds will become quite calm again like it never happened. That's a good attitude!

Amazingly warm bodies that crows have, like little heaters being held in your hands. Noticeably almost hot! I guess it's their metabolism and why they eat so much.

Cool post, great thread!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, and good sentiment, Jerry. I hope he lives a contented life.

Yesterday I had to be gone all day from early morning until late at night. I got back to my shop around 11PM, wondered if Hank would be all stressed out from being cooped up ih his enclosure. The first time for so long. He was just sitting on his perch hunched down quietly, and was hesitant to come out. I thought it good f he could stretch his wings, which they do a lot. Eventually he did hop out and got some fresh air outside. Seemed rather disoriented to be outside at night, very reactionary to the sounds around. They really shut down at night and don't want to eat much, asleep or like half asleep. It would seem that their metabolism would have to rest. Possibly a tendency of birds that don't hunt at night?

Flight!

Late afternoon, we went for a little spin on the bike yesterday. During the course of the ride, Hank suddenly takes off and flies across the street and onto the roof of a nursery school. I couldn't believe it, his distance record up until then had been only a few feet and in a straight line, up until mostly crashing into something as the finality. He did it like a ...bird, gained elevation nicely and made a smooth landing. It was real cool, but the problem was that he wouldn't come down, just stayed up there looking proud of himself, despite any amount of coaxing. I didn't want to leave him up there. Fortunately, there was a mother standing outside with her kids, so I didn't have to go inside and try to explain that my crow was on their roof, so I needed to go up and get it. Not sure what the response would have been, maybe the cops. After a fairly simple explanation of my relationship to Hank, the lady went inside and fetched a teacher, who gave me the ok to go back to the shop for a ladder. By the time I returned he had climbed nearly up to the peak of the roof, but offered no resistance when i picked him up. With what i thought were sufficient apologies for Hank's behavior, we went back to the shop and he returned to his perch outside the door, where he remained for an hour or two before I put him away for the night.

It will be interesting to see if he now will be wanting to take off from his perch, he hasn't left it on his own yet. I figure if he does take off from there, at least he will likely land somewhere in view of the shop, and can decide on his own if he wants to return for food or whatever. i am a bit doubtful of him being able to manage on his own in the wild yet, if ever completely. Fortunately, he is still pretty young, perhaps can learn what he needs to in order to survive.

What a dilemma. I wonder what's involved with "clipping" his wings? I bet he wouldn't make it on his own, now that he's tame.

I don't really like the idea of clipping it's wings if it can be avoided, but as you say, I don't want him starving to death or suffering from thirst. He seems to have a strong attachment to his outdoor perch, up to now is happy sitting on it all day, and when we do go somewhere, he likes getting back to it, will jump to it from a few feet away. It seems that if i were to leave it outside after he takes off for somewhere, he would want to fly back down to it for his needs. I'm sort of expecting to find out about that pretty soon, the way he flew yesterday, for an instant he looked like any other crow. Obviously, very strong instincts to fly. He spends a lot of time fussing around with his wings, preening and stretching them.

Crows are pretty damned smart though. I would bet that if I lumbered into Jay's shop that Hank would be able to tell the difference. Birds also seem to have great instincts, even though he is tame I would bet that he would not want to make friends with a cat. Maybe?

That's a problem, Jim, not knowing danger. There are stories of humans killing crows that have been somewhat domesticated, because they think that a friendly bird is a sick bird. I also hear stories about a crow that someone kept for awhile, but the end result was that a cat got it. I don't see how he could get "street wise" at this point. A big part of their ways is learning from other birds. He certainly knows me from other people, i can tell, but he will also accept food from them as well. I can tell that he also recognizes the shop, the way he focuses on it when we come back after going somewhere. He is also much disliking getting put into his enclosure at night, though in the morning seems calm and resigned to it when I get there. Sometimes he won't come out for a bit, after opening the door.

I made him a cage. At night, you mean. He could, but lots of stuff around where he could get caught behind possibly, parts of machinery sticking out, I don't see it as a friendly environment, plus the matter of poop. In his enclosure i can just pull out the newspaper and put fresh in, barely takes a minute. If he sticks around, I can probably work out something better for at night. He walks around a lot in the shop when he wants to. They seem to have an investigative nature.

What a dilemma. I wonder what's involved with "clipping" his wings? I bet he wouldn't make it on his own, now that he's tame.

I doubt that. He isn't at the bottom of a food chain like a rabbit. If he can eat, and fly, what else does he need to make it? I think its cool Jay has him, but the bird is not without instinct. often times Ive seen people convince themselves that the critter wont make it, to serve their own selfish desires or need to feel depended on. I absolutely do not mean that about you Jay as Ive watched you be very open minded to the future of this bird. I wouldn't clip his wings personally. That's just saying "You're mine and I wont allow you to flourish".

Perhaps Frank would be happy with a bigger cage.

I dunno... I think any domesticated animal is domesticated - meaning they need humans to take care of them. But, I'm no vet... so to speak.

I wonder if the reason that Jay found him is because he is a bit "special" anyway. I suppose that birds in the wild only get one chance and Hank was lucky enough to find Jay when he needed him. Had he not, well, I am sure a cat would have adopted Hank first. I look at it like any other animal adoption, the ones that get adopted are lucky.

I'd err on the side of keeping Frank alive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sa2w6Y5p-QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When Hank wouldn't come down from the nursery school roof, it made me mad. What an ungrateful bird!

Thanks for the trimming vid. good to have it for reference if need be.

I'm special, you're special, Jim. LOL

It's a chore taking care of Hank. I don't mind it so much, and the interest and enjoyment is there from his presence. I won't always be able to go to the shop everyday. Hopefully we can work something out amicable to the both of us.

Face it... it's a chore taking care of any pet. I'm taking my old cat in tomorrow to put it down. She's gone senile. The crazy thing is, I just adopted a young kitten that has been living under my house for the past two months. I'm amazed she wasn't feral already.

I'm trying to think what a crow could use a mini fridge for? I already share my lunch with the critter. I can tell you that they dig scrambled eggs. I'd end up just keeping beer in there, and would have to drink it during hot days.

Back