Training A Crow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He squats down when going to sleep, eyelids get droopy. Appears to be their most relaxed posture.

Just catching up on this, I think that in the wild the parents entice the youngster to fly by withholding the foot out of reach, forcing the fledgling to take the leap of faith.

Bird is doing well, Terri, much growing. Extending it's flying range little by little, but still can't go far, around eight feet or so, then it goes down. It's hard to see how larger birds like crows, can fly for some distance right out of the nest. Judging by this bird, their wings develop strength slowly, and I get the impression that there is a confidence factor that plays a part as well. It seems like quite a feat to just jump out and soar with no previous experience. I agree with you, Mick, food would no doubt play a part in getting them to be more self sufficient. The way they want to eat, I can't see them being very patient when hungry. This one gets all his food needs taken care of. Eating is definitely a big thing from which they appear to derive much pleasure. It's almost a panic when it knows food is on the way, even though it may have eaten only a few hours before.
In the morning I take it out of it's enclosure and it sits on a perch outside the door of my shop. At some point we might go for a bike ride later in the afternoon, but it is content to sit out there all day, and never fusses. They like to drink water frequently, so I have some out there on it's perch. It might let me know when it wants something to eat if i happen to walk by , but generally it is very quiet and appears most at ease watching the activity going on outside, the wind blowing things and insects or other birds flying about. Generally later in the day I try to get it to use it's wings a little. When it turns dark outside, it becomes even more quiet and with limited movement, it seems like a shutting down for the day mode that it goes into. It's quite cute when it gets like that, likes to be petted and gives affectionate little squeaks. No doubt it much prefers being outside compared to in it's enclosure, where it goes for the night. When I open up the door of my shop in the morning, it usually lets out a squawk, probably both a greeting and some delight because it knows that it will be getting fed and let out. There is food in it's cage which it mibbles at, but prefers to be fed by hand for some reason. Kind of spoiled, I guess.

I'd like to see this bird be able to fly and do it's thing, but i have my doubts that it can ever completely return to the wild. It seems comfortable around all humans now, particularly me, and shows no fear. Perhaps if it does take to the sky, it will learn more and more to appreciate it's freedom and independence, but the question remains as to what degree it can integrate into a crow group. People that come to the shop, like the mailman, have never encountered a domesticated crow, and up so close. They appear not to know what to think, and a little fearful at first. The whole thing is rather interesting, and a fun little guy. It wants to talk in response to something being said to it, but still only crow sounds. I will try and take some more pics.

From what I know it is unlikely to fully return to the wild as he would be attacked by other crows.
Here, to catch magpies they put a tame or captured specimen in a "Larsen trap" the locals cannot abide to see and hear the intruder, one by one they land on the trap where they fall in to meet their doom at the hands of the farmer/gamekeeper.
I'm guessing yours is a carrion crow, Corvus corone?

Well, crows can also mean most corvids, in the UK jackdaws, rooks and carrion crows are often called crows.
I don't know what they have in Japan. I'm sure we'd all like to see the little blighter

Yes, a Carrion Crow. There is one other species here, distinguishable by a wide and thick beak.

Thanks, Bob.

Hank, a happy crow, I believe. For awhile I had to tie it's leg to things or it would sometimes fall off, but now it holds on easily by itself. It really digs cycling, and it's into downhill! On bumpy roads it can use it's wings for balance. It will sit on that perch all day and into the evening until I close up.

Attachments

• crow on bike.jpg
    crow on bike.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 39
  • crow on bike 1.jpg
    crow on bike 1.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 37
  • crow at shop.jpg
    crow at shop.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 37
Thanks, the frame was a freeby. Kind of usual, made from magnesium. English made and pretty old, but still in good shape. I have it set up as a single speed, nice and simple and quiet.

Not really, I think it has always been a crow. It poops like it always has been.

Ps the English naturalist Phil Drabble raised a crow and wrote about it in a book, possibly called "a weasel in my meat safe"
Read it as a young man.
Looking for it I came across a thread in the IFF falconry forum when a guy raises a carrion crow, might be worth checking out.

Jay, most pictures you've posted have a yellow tint to them. Is that a photo editing trick or a special method or tool?

Thanks for the comments. One interesting thing about crows that I notice, is that they have a very strong ability to calm themselves. If I have to change it's location, or it goes for a short flight and does a radical nosedive, it will get a little flustered, but in only a few seconds will become quite calm again like it never happened. That's a good attitude!

I'll check out that book, thanks, Mick. Chris, my camera lens tends to take soft images, so I do some editing. I think the yellow tint must be a little "warm" that I add.

It would be preferred if the crow takes on some independence and can fly and gather some of it's own food. I'm pretty much tied to the shop, or at least going there in the morning to give it eats and change the water, etc. I haven't had any tree work, where I most often head out directly from home in the morning. I can work it out, but you know taking care of critters well requires some attention. :|:

Amazingly warm bodies that crows have, like little heaters being held in your hands. Noticeably almost hot! I guess it's their metabolism and why they eat so much.

Jay, love the picture where Hank is on your bike (cool bike by the way) and looking into the trees. He seems to be enjoying the scenery! When you are riding, does he ever turn around and look at you or mostly look ahead?

V, it's one of the fun things about riding with him, he regularly changes his position on the bike, sometimes faces forward, sometimes backwards looking at me, or riding sideways to the direction that we are going. I get the impression that looking at me gives him a sense of security, because he will sometimes make a little sound that I interpret as contentment. He'll do that when on his perch as well, if i walk by, kind of like a little recognition. Everyday he seems now to be able to fly a little further. No loft though, only in a straight line for some distance, then hits the deck, sometimes in a most ungainly way. Today he flew head on into a tree. He's learning though, hope he doesn't hurt himself.

Back