Training A Crow

Would've loved to have seen it too Jay. Good for you though. I raised a coon and released it and it would come around occasionally looking for a handout. Maybe Hank will make a return visit or two, you never know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the thoughts. I read where it is advised not to clip a Corvid's wings, as they use them a lot for basic stability, say when moving around on a perch for example, or just a little jump up onto something. They are different from Parrots that way. I kept thinking that if i went back to the area and looked around, there was the chance he might show up, but after many times, no luck. I regularly go through the area, so he might show himself. Cool if he went back to the shop, it isn't far. Lately he had really been wanting to join other crows that were flying overhead, would jump off the bike to try to, but was on a line. Keeping a bird like that in captivity much restricts their strong natural tendency. I thought I might balance that out by good food and the changes of scenery and allowing him short flights on a line. Not the same, however, I could see that. When they are content, very nice critters to have around. They let you know that they are happy and show the sense of attachment.

I know Hank has effected a lot of us. When I see them around here now I always think of Hank. I have gotten pretty decent with calling crows..using cat briar leaves or English ivy leaves. I can send out several bursts of calls and get the locals roused up. You might be able to get your local crows riled up some, maybe Hank will be part of the ones that come fuss at you.

I had a squirrel for 12 years, in a big ass cage, in my living room. He was my nutty buddy, nice, big and fat. He was never hungry, cold, wet, or in any kind of pain whatsoever... we were good buddys.

I miss him to this day...

I befriended a ground squirrel once at a logging camp. At the end of every day when I came back to camp he would come out of his burrow to greet me. Of course I gave him treats. One day he came out of his burrow and got nailed by a hawk. The bird clipped his tail off and flew away with my buddy. Long story short.

I think there is a good chance that Hank may have flown into one of he vast rice fields on three sides of the shrine, and become stuck in there. You see crows in those fields hunting around when the plants are young, but now that they have bushed out and become quite thick and tall congested growths, i don't think the birds like to go in there for frogs and such. Hank, unaware of the dangers, might well have landed in there, he flew out in the direction of one if he went out past the shrine woods itself. I covered a lot of territory around the fields calling his name, but if he was towards the middle, likely he would be trapped and out of luck to hear me.

Get a cool parrot!

2010-amber-parrots.jpg

Crows in the wild are comical to watch .They get great sport in mobbing a great horned owl .You see a crow cannot fly at night but an owl can .When the crows roost at night the owl can pick them off .

Every so often they make the fatal mistake of mobbing a redtail hawk .The hawk will break free and snatch them right out of the air .Almost nothing that flys can out maneuver a redtail hawk in a power dive .

Funny you mention that about the redtails Al, I watched one nail a crow one day beside the road. He just sat on top of his prize with talons buried to the hilt as I idled by.

That would be cool, Jim. He could tell his mates what goes on in a human's house and when allowing a lot of people to be kind, and what it is like to eat a diversity of FRESH store bought food. He'll get some envy.

Back