Tired Husky 365

top_notch

Treehouser
I have a Husky 365 that I bought used a few years ago for a hundred bucks and it has ran great ever since. It was old when I bought it and I'm sure it was a little tired but now it seems more tired. It tends to bog down more in cuts and just doesn't feel as good as it used too. I'm wondering if it is losing compression or something...It however does feel pretty tight when pulling the pull rope when starting. Is one of the most basic tests for diagnosing this tiredness a compression test?

Compression test to start with, anything under 120psi and it's toast! Make sure the tester has a schrader valve, like in a tire valve stem, otherwise it will skew the results.
An easier and cheaper test is to just pull the muffler off and look for scoring on the piston. A scored piston can pull as hard, or harder than a high comp saw.
IF it's scored you will need to find out why, vacume and pressure testing will lead you there, others can explain that better than I ever could!
Fix the problem then bolt on a 372xp piston and cylinder and you have a hell of a sleeper saw! Yes, it really is a direct bolt on!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! Just the answer I was looking for! Where is the best place to get a 372xp piston and cylinder? Bailey's? ...assuming I need one for the poor old soul!:evil: Also, what are the symptoms for a clutch going out on a saw? Never experienced it happening before.

Mixed feed back on BB kits from most I have read here. If the 372 P&C are a bolt on for this saw, as it seems it is, that would be a good move in my head. If you want more from it, think about porting the saw.
When I replace a P&C on a saw, I also put in OEM bearing and wrist pin clips. Freshen up the carb with a rebuild.
I am sure more of the saw savvy guys will chime in soon ;)

So far I've been able to just replace the pistons and not needed to go for for a new cylinder . That said about all I can add is the Metior brand of pistons have worked well .

It may stall when you engage the chain brake if the springs are getting weak.

Keep in mind if you get the new kit it will still be old.
Much more things wear than p&c.

If it is a money maker, keep this for parts and get a new 372 (non X-torq) and you will be alright for a very long time.

The aftermarket BB kits can be great, but you have to work them over, port them, get them to flow and smooth out a lot of rough spots!
Then as Stephan said, use factory bearings and cir-clips, the damn cir-clips are the number one failing point on these kits!

For that matter they aren't worth much on just the after market pistons either .Too damned thick to get seated properly .

If you use a BB372 May I suggest using a meteor 064 piston with it. If you are porting the skirts are wider then the oem 064 piston.

Just a good work saw using BB372. Fat stock squish with just widened porting.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_EZsWjRJ0rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is another kit as well, 75cc.

Thanks for the tips Magnus. I work for someone so the saw is primarily for firewood at this point, and the occasional side work that I can drum up. I got the saw for $100 about 5 years ago from a guy who had a tree business in FL and he cut across the top of his foot with a saw and ended up having to get his leg amputated at the knee due to infection. It's sad he had that misfortune, but the saw has been awesome especially for how much I have in it.

I think I would like to get a new P & C and port it just to get the experience and for the fun.

Where did you come across the 75cc kit? I don't think I saw it on Baileys.

So, the Stihl, piston will work with the husky cylinder? I realize they are both 52mm but didn't realize that there wern't other differences in the parts.

If you use a BB372 May I suggest using a meteor 064 piston with it. If you are porting the skirts are wider then the oem 064 piston.

Just a good work saw using BB372. Fat stock squish with just widened porting.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_EZsWjRJ0rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I doubt you will not need a racing saw, 365 or 372 kit will do well for your needs. The 375 I think Baily have, or had.
If this is something that tickle your interest they can be found.

But before you order things, make sure you know what is the problem. It might just need more food...
Only reason to change p&c would be if there is damages.

If you are fine with keeping it a 365, and it is just getting worn, why not put a new set of Caber rings in it and be done for 15 bucks or so.

That would work .Takes some time for the rings to seat but once they do it should be up to the power level of pretty much a new one .

I doubt you will not need a racing saw, 365 or 372 kit will do well for your needs. The 375 I think Baily have, or had.
If this is something that tickle your interest they can be found.

But before you order things, make sure you know what is the problem. It might just need more food...
Only reason to change p&c would be if there is damages.

If I do change things out on it I would like to track down the 375 P and C, as long as its not too expensive compared to the 372 parts. And the plan is to check it out before getting parts.

If you are fine with keeping it a 365, and it is just getting worn, why not put a new set of Caber rings in it and be done for 15 bucks or so.

I am interested in modifying a saw so If the piston is scored it would be cool to make it a more powerful saw. I'm planning on getting it checked out in the next couple of days.

I really appreciate everyone's advice!

Meteor has piston/cylinder kits available now. If they are anywhere near as good as their pistons then they would be my choice. The "375" you refer to is actually the p/c for a 372XPW. Pull the muffler and see what you got. You will know right away if it is toasted or just worn.

How I would lean also....
And be careful the Forrester kits... sometimes the ports are a tad rough and lacking in a decent bevel on the piston side .....

Back