Time for a website

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Been meaning to for awhile. Must I hire someone? Must I hire someone to handle the SEO? get me on track here. I don't want a silly hack job attempt at a website. I will give it a go myself, but take my time. Get me pointed the right way fellas. Please. Don't forget the SEO question.

I sat down with a local company and was quoted a few grand to build a website and some rather sturdy monthly fees. Is that my only option?

There are a bunch of help pages I would suggest reading BEFORE you start building your site, especialy the ones on SEO. It will be easier to build after knowing how google works. One easy way to bump up your SEO placement is including a blog and updating it regularly. Use key title sentences for the blog like : "Philadelphia Tree Removal" or "XXX county tree pruning". Search engines like that alot.

Our site was a huge work generator this year. I had to stop adding stuff to the blog cause we werent keeping up. We didnt use any google adwords either, it was all free!

Search around for prices to build and maintain it. By chance, we found out a company who does a lot of business stuff for us, like create checks or customs documents, that kind of thing, also does website design. It's like $200 up front or something, and then $100 per month after that to maintain it and we get some many service hours a month where they can go and add or delete things. Also includes some basic SEO things. For like $125 more it's a more extensive SEO deal. I'm gonna look into some other SEO's first around here. I've heard they're the best thing you can do for your business. A few buddies pay about $400-500 a month for a good solid SEO and they say it's more than worth the money. They get more calls from that than any other form of advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matdand,

Whats the monthly fee there? They have a template i like. What about domain name?

Im with chris, i want to get something. Even just a front page, or two, showing pictures and professionalism.

I did one on facebook, and have positive feedback just from putting up pics and the youtube vids.

I'm in the do-your-own camp. I get a lot of biz from it and lot of positive feedback. I try to update it monthly, but occasionally it gets major overhauls.

I use iWeb. Totally free. I hot it on go daddy for like $9/month or something.

love
nick

Is a website really needed if you have a good blog? Blogs are free and super easy to add to, no special skills required and a variety of templates are available, like from Google.

Try godaddy then use there website builder app, I think it's less then 9 a month, watch some YouTube how to videos first

A simple Wordpress site is pretty easy to set up. 100's of templates out there for free or a few bucks. Most hosting site will have a quick install fo wordpress and your domain name all with one click then you start building. Godaddy, hostgator, bluehost are a few hosting domain/sites. There are tons more. Youtube has tons of wordpress tutorials. I'm sure there are wix tutorials on there as well. If your doing your own basic site it shouldn't cost more the about 7-15 bucks a month.

I had it already, but I think I transfered it with them. I cant really remember honestly. I just gave them my credit card and told them to make it work.

U can register and buy a domain name name hostgator.com. Then download wordpress and have access to free website themes/templates that u customize to build your own website. It's easy and there are YouTube videos that walk you thru it from start to finish so u can just follow along and build ur site.

Im thinking about getting going on this.

Just a few questions you guys might be able to answer.

So basically you can use a free web designer, such as the wix.com mentioned above. Beyond that, you would then need to get your desired domain name, then you take your page you designed and find someone to basically display it for you. So thats called hosting correct?

Im guessing you can bring your site that you made for free and take it anywhere? Godaddy, yahoo, etc? So in essence your paying for the domain name and the hosting?

I'll second what Joe said about wordpress. Themes are dirt cheap and look extremely professional. Most sites are using WP themes now. You can have a couple page site that you fill out with content and some social media plugins and you're off and running.

Check http://themeforest.net/ for wordpress templates

Brendon, you're more or less on the money there. It's not as easy to make a site and transfer it from host to host as it used to be, but it can be done. .com domains should be in the $9-12/yr range. Some places will offer privacy protection/whoisguard with the domain. You probably want it as it'll keep your email and address information private. I buy almost all my domains through namecheap.com. They have some hosting packages, but I host my own stuff so I can't vouch for their service.

If some of you want to start playing with this stuff I can get wordpess installed somewhere and you can mess around with the designs and stuff before you buy a domain and go live. Just let me know!

I had an old site through yahoo for like 100 a year. Someone made it for me so i dont know the detaills i asked above.

But thats about normal correct?

500 gb, whatever that means.

I basically just want a nice cover page, and probably just a gallery. The wix page just scream pro looking to me, with the clarity of the pics. Just what i always visually pictured.

Hey B,

I'm a fan of the wordpress myself but if you have found a site you like at wix go for it. I bet you'll have something you want up in a day. Check out this vid I found if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRU83c06luM

It's a wix tutorial and a bit long but gets you started. At the 15 min mark(around that time) it shows you how to host the site and get a decent web name. Super easy

I have always had mine done by a professional advertising agency.
They think differently than us treeguys/gals, I've noticed.
And compared to what a good website brings in, the cost is negligible.

I just dropped a grand and a half to have the whole site redone from the ground up.
Cheap IMO.

Back