Time for a bigger saw

What woodslinger is looking for is a saw for arborist work, not a saw for cutting 8 hr a day 5 days a week.
I have a 1992 Stihl 066Mag that I ran for almost 20 yrs, still runs fine and it never had it's cylinder off.
Now if I used that saw full time logging .....a year would be a lifetime for it.

So whether the strato charged saws like the 576 or 372XTorque have long life issues or not in logging, it certainly doesn't apply to arborist work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good point Willard, the comment on longevity of the 576 had me worried there for a bit. My echos will see many more hours than the 576 I think, and even if I do start using it as my main saw, as you said - I am no logger. Thank you for your input.

We have a winner!!

I went out today ready to purchase the 576xp, but the nearest husky dealer wasn't much of a dealer, they can't stock husky's because of a contract with stihl and didn't have any large pro saws at all. The kid who took my info took a good 10 minutes to find the model I told him I wanted, just seemed to have no idea what he was doing. He gave me a price, but didn't know what size bar and chain came with it for that price, said he would find out the price with the bar and chain options I wanted and I left feeling less than confident. Then an errand to fix Jaxson's swing took me halfway to the next nearest dealer so I stopped in there.
After some conversation with him, I walked out with an ms461 with a 25" bar, 2 spare chains, and a 32"B+C. Dealer quality and availability won out, he does not stock the 576 and has not sold any of the new 576's, and he saw lots of reliability issues with the older ones. Mine was the 4th 461 he sold TODAY. I am happy with my purchase and I have a new local go-to dealer who knows his stuff, carries a variety of equipment, and has used equip also. My only wonder from this is when I asked him about the mtronic, he said that the 461 didn't have it yet but I thought it did?

Anywho, thank you everyone for your input on this thread, it was all very helpful in steering me toward a bigger saw than I thought I needed, and I am very glad to have it. Houser's RULE!!

NICE BUY!!

461 a very good saw and no it dont have mtronic.....good, less to worry about, just my 2cents

Used mine yesterday to flop a 40" gum...didn't miss a beat! Me likey 461 :)

My garage was starting to look at least a slight bit organized when I emptied out a shelf that was just big enough for my saws, now I have to find a new system as this beast is not even close to fitting in that shelf.

Woodslinger,

I have a story for you, which I'm still shaking my head over.

The Bobcat dealer in Devils Lake was involved with a radio station give-away. On this particular day, you could sign up to win a new ATV. It was the only place in town that day you could sign up to win the ATV. The radio station was broadcasting live from the Bobcat dealer all day long.

During one of the ad segments, they interviewed the manager of the store and asked him about the equipment lines the store handles. Well, they sell all kinds of outdoor power equipment, including Husqvarna chainsaws.

This isn't an exact quote, but it's as close as I recall it.

"Yep. We sell Husqvarna chainsaws. We handle the entire line. Stop in and ask about the new saws from Husqvarna. I don't know a thing about them, but we'll gladly sell you one."

Well, OK.....no need to remind me never to shop there. Unbelievable!

Joel

Nice pic Fiona. I should have taken a pic like that after the Doug Fir I did last weekend with my echo 450 just to prove that it happened. There were knots and burls ALL OVER it, sure wish I had the 461 a week ago!

My garage was starting to look at least a slight bit organized when I emptied out a shelf that was just big enough for my saws, now I have to find a new system as this beast is not even close to fitting in that shelf.
I just keep adding more shelves...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 61
Nice workshop!! Looks like you have just the right amount of saws, ecxept for the next one you haven't found yet. . .

I love our 562XP, I will say though you may want to shoot for the 72 with a 24" bar and have yourself a good all around big stick.

I had decided to go bigger, 576xp or ms461, local dealer existence and knowledge drove me to the ms461. Got it with a 25" on it and 32" just in case I get into a sword fight with a tree. :D

Back