The toughest trees to remove

Phoenix palm...HATE them.
Mexican pepper (Schinus terebinthifolius) twisty loaded grain, grabby branches, springy twigs that smack you in your face, go up your nose, in your ears, grab you behind the knees...sticky sap that some people are allergic to and will spit off roundup with disdain.

New to poplar, but can see the aversions!

I have to add another vote for the monkey puzzle and phoenix canariensis and add to it the silk floss.

Trees with crazy thorns just mess everything up. Hickory, box elder, and maples have no business being in this conversation when you're comparing the monkey puzzle and silk floss.

And why do so many phoenix palms need to have rats, spiders, ants, AND roaches?!

love
nick

Phoenix palm...HATE them.
Mexican pepper (Schinus terebinthifolius) twisty loaded grain, grabby branches, springy twigs that smack you in your face, go up your nose, in your ears, grab you behind the knees...sticky sap that some people are allergic to and will spit off roundup with disdain.

New to poplar, but can see the aversions!
Great post and well said Fi......you put alot of "feeling" into it.:)

Maximalist It is hard to work also with ordinary maple. Very brittle wood....[/QUOTE said:
I have to agree with this since my move to Florida, I use to love working them when I was in Vermont. Here they are brittle and zero reliability in hinges until bigger wood.
Dave good to read you again also!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
some of these tree's mentioned aren't in my area of course. monkey puzzle sounds interesting. a few of you have mentioned dead trees for sucking the most and that probably goes without saying, but since it's been said what's the worst tree you've climbed as far as being really dead? not so much the kind of tree but more how dead it was. I've climbed quite a few dead ones in my career. some were unidentifiable. no branches leaves or bark and mostly a sponge. I think the worst one was a possible tulip poplar but I don't really know. every time I'd kick in a spike I'd just about stick my whole foot into the tree. there wasn't much left to it and it couldn't be flopped. I could climb to the first crotch and bomb the leads from there unfortunately that was around 65-70 feet. I just moved slow, tried not to shake the tree, made a hand full of jump cuts, and then chunked it down till it was small enough to fell. easy but a little sketchy.

I have to add another vote for the monkey puzzle and phoenix canariensis and add to it the silk floss.

Trees with crazy thorns just mess everything up. Hickory, box elder, and maples have no business being in this conversation when you're comparing the monkey puzzle and silk floss.

And why do so many phoenix palms need to have rats, spiders, ants, AND roaches?!

love
nick

Its all relative. A person cant rate monkey puzzle in their list of hates if they don't grow in the region he works. Ive never dealt with monkey puzzle, so I cant dislike it. I have however, had hickory and boxelder nearly cause me serious problems when I was learning to do removals.

We have both Monkey Puzzle and Cunninghamia Lanceolata here, both nasty! Monkey Puzzle is a protected species in our city, I've never done a removal on one. But Cunninghamia... man those are just mean. Very sharp needles, wood extremely brittle, especially when it gets really cold, push on a branch with one hand, and it'll snap right off. Takes years for green foliage to break down. Fortunately they are rare here. Anyone else seen or heard of them?

Eastern White Pine in August - Hot & Sticky - sometimes that's a good thing but not this summer :(

There was an ant colony at the base of the tree - I had dead ants and pine needles stuck to me in places I'm not gonna share. :D

Alianthus aka tree of heaven, snappy snappy snappy, a stem under pressure ie leaning, has a propensity to split whilst being rung down, bit of a rib breaker.

I would not be careless about poison ivy or poison oak exposure if you don't get it, that can change. if you get a good dose of it at some point, you can lose your immunity and henceforth will be sensitive to smaller degrees of exposure as well. That has been my case, i could swim in the stuff, then one time.... I really suffered. Now have to be careful. Consider yourself lucky and try to remain that way with lesser contact, don't mess around with it by being casual, is my advice.

Ive had a nasty skin reaction to grevillia to mate unbearable itchy rash , hate the stuff.

I think anything superdead is going to have to be the worst, i did a dead betula with a sever case of piptoporus betulinus
which was a little foolhardy and ignorant its like spiking and working with cardboard.
heres a locust i deadwooded last year

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 66
There are a handful of Honeylocust with thorns around here, and I am glad that I have never needed to go in one. I am sure you made good money on that one. :)

Heavy leaders with no high tie, dead trees too... But big Euc's can be unforgiving and can be a mental battle at times.

Page, X2 on giving the wife poison oak on the rear end. :lol:

Toughest removals by far is storm damage. My favorite kind of tree work. Got some vid somewhere of a Tulip poplar that went through a church (two stories) we had to take part of the tree trunk down the stairs and out the side of church, trunk as wide as the hood of my 3500 dodge. At the end of June, the same year Sandy hit a little tornado hit Vineland,NJ. Ripped it apart. Part of the city buildings are close to each other no access for any machinery. Unless you had a crane. I did not, and good luck finding one at the time.

Albizias when you have to rig them out over houses or structures. I've been out on a 150ft long limb flatlining my tie in and been flipped upside down out of the spikes when trying to rope the remainder of the branch down, not fun.

Better when you can free drop them!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a3K8y-H3Q_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jp:D

Back