The RIP Thread...

Ali went through a period of being a very hated man by a percentage of the public including many of the sport's press. Why they took away his title, aided by the fact that the US had never lost a war at the time. It takes losing to look at things differently in mass, that getting punched in the face changes your plan. Not unusual, Stig, still today professional athletes pay negative consequences in their careers resulting from outside activities. Beat up your wife or girlfriend and suspensions come down. Some say not enough consequences as potential roll models.

Go kill Pygmies if they are considered too small to be respected humans by your government, or say no way and "dodge the draft". Which is it? It's not like the North Vietnamese had never previously well established the fact that having their own self determination was an important thing to them, and being more than willing to die for it...men, women, and children. The French will tell you.

I fail to see the courage in being a draft dodger.

I believe that I understand that sentiment, and as nice Guy Dave once astutely pointed out to me, one can go to war to help protect your mates as a good reason. If you look at the Vietnamese conflict in retrospect however, and what it cost all participants including the enemy we now call our friends, and coincide that with other activities that Kissinger and his clowns got up to in other countries, like illegally devastating the infrastructure of Cambodia that lead to the Khmer rouge taking power and murdering millions, and what went down in Chile to aid Pinochet, perhaps more people had good reason to say no, be that a courageous act or how one wants to think of it. The Vietnam memorial is the color black for lots of reasons that can be found. There was no Gulf of Tonkin incident, no blips on a radar screen that a few wanted many to believe. The thing started as a lie.

It's kind of a fine point what terminology can apply. The selective service honored few applications for conscientious objector status. I wonder if Ali formally filed? You can't technically be a conscientious objector unless you request to be one, I guess. Then there is also the thought, why file because it's a certainty to get rejected, unless you can establish an objection based upon a lengthy association with a certain religion that has a history of opposing war, like being a Quaker. I filed and went to a meeting with a bunch of suits at the draft board office, civic fathers I guess could be said. The odds are stacked against you when you go through the door, but I gave them my reasons and noted fidgeting in seats. The letter they said they would send me said sorry Bub. Conscientious objectors generally have to do some work of a public service nature to fulfill their obligation in lieu of not entering the military, I believe. Possibly one can also enter the service as a non-combatant if their application is approved.

I would imagine that the ones formally applying for the objector status were far outnumbered by people that just took off to be out of range from the draft board and law enforcement. Then there were the people that came up with all kinds of crazy notions to make them think at your pre-induction physical that you were mentally unfit for military service. The first guy to go in there with the tail of a rat sticking out of his butt probably succeeded, the second one didn't.

From a NYT article on Gordie:

As skilled as he was, Howe could be a brutal player adept at retaliating for a slight when the referee was not looking.

“It’s a man’s game,” he once said. “You have to be tough to survive. I learned right off that throwing the first spear was the best way.”

Stan Mikita, the Chicago Blackhawks’ Hall of Fame center, once told The Detroit Free Press what happened after he cut Howe under the eye early in his career.

“A couple of minutes later at the Olympia, we were both turning in the Wings’ end. The next thing I remember I was at the Chicago bench, my head is killing me. Our backup goalie, Denis DeJordy, said he was the only one in the building who saw what happened. Gordie had skated by me, slipped his right glove up under his armpit, pulled out his fist, popped me in the jaw and put his glove back on.

“A few shifts later, he ambled by and asked if I learned anything. I said, ‘Are we even?’ Gordie says, ‘I’ll think about it.’”

Never heard of the guy, but I'm sure he never heard of me either.

Attachments

• gordie2.jpg
    gordie2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 20
I never saw him play but sounds like he was basically a one man wrecking crew, both on the scoresheet and in the corners...

6', 205 lbs, which is said to be large for his time.

This term is getting worn out but if you never heard of him, MB, then you might like it: A Gordie Howe hat trick= 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 fight.

Bluegrass influence, Ralph Stanley.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q3_HnomxSjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First Bluegrass album I wore out learning was one of Ralph's.

He sings this, and put in an short appearance as head of the Klan

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VoIebIKNS4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back