The Official Work Pictures Thread

just some vista/deadwood on a Ponderosa...blue skies, warm...

EW2phuo.jpg

7cQgvZS.jpg

BEAUTIFUL picture quality!!!

Push bigger!!!

Attachments

• elm tree 1.jpg
    elm tree 1.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 65
  • elm tree 2.jpg
    elm tree 2.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 64
  • elm tree 3.jpg
    elm tree 3.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 60
  • elm tree 4.jpg
    elm tree 4.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 65
Oh hell yea.

I'd need a 2nd job just to support the habit!

Nothing but Marlboro Reds for me.

Another day, another Beech tree. It has been an ongoing job and there is one left to dismantle, well half a one as I did the other half a while back. 1 reduction and two more to deivy and deadwood.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430407989.635623.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430408003.563806.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430408016.320249.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430408031.942155.jpg

Rich

Cheers Mick.

I do love working on Beech trees. Taken a few too many out recently but then again that is the nature of the job.

You got many Beech's in your part of France?

Bit too acidic just here, just the odd garden specimen.
When I drive home and I reach Normandy which has similar geology to the South Downs across the channel they thrive.
I come from the Weald near Horsham so it's mostly oak and hornbeam in the woods.

ab3f7c1fad4ac2ed52b3ceb5391ecb39.jpg

More preschool fir stripping fun. Worked one over that over hung a keeper hemlock and keeper maple, neither affected by the root disease. Traversed across the top of the two keeper trees into another fir. Worked it over until getting a Google hangouts video call from my little kiddo. Amazing what technology can do.

Today, loaded cedar logs with my Boxer into the chip bed.

I put in a new exhaust manifold gasket on the chipper and it was back in action, after changing a cooked plug wire. Still giving a bit of trouble, though. Won't pick up speed fully. I'll have to look it over.

Limbed another cedar and chipped the rest of the cedar removal branches. couple yard of chips in all.

End of the day, picked up a quick $100 limb and leave job.

Rolled with the chipper, Boxer, and chip truck, one man band.

Gum removal, had to remove the back half of the tree before falling it into the paddock, weight was towards the house.
Put the bull rope in it, tied to the ute, wedges, round the back and over it went...well, almost...I left a little triangle of uncut wood right in the middle, had to nibble it a bit, and THEN it went.
I was over cautious of cutting into the back of the hinge when walking the saw around and left that little peg in the middle. The wind was puffing a bit, I felt the tree pinch the off side wedges, did NOT want to narrow the hinge any, so good thing we had the ute on it...low 4 and over it went, whew!

Attachments

• DSC00427.jpg
    DSC00427.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00431.JPG
    DSC00431.JPG
    395.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00434.JPG
    DSC00434.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00438.JPG
    DSC00438.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00442.jpg
    DSC00442.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 75
I've missed that peg before, had a big tree on a winch leaning towards the house, tightened and tightened the winch, hammered in wedges, scratched my head...... Then when I finally figured it out and cut it...whooooosh.

The middle of the hinge does the least. When double-cutting, or chasing around keep your corners solid. Don't sweaty the middle so much... Its like gutting a hinge, IME.

Why didn't you gut it, Fi?
I figured that would be a standard tecnique for a short bar type like you.

I've fought a little chunk of uncut wood pulling with a small skidder on a big cottonwood. Tension strength is around double the compression strength of wood, I believe. Doesn't take much. Once fully cut, an easy enough pull on that cottonwood.

Better gutted that a center post, or in my case, I missed a little in the middle of the holding wood http://youtu.be/XsiiIa6bs9Iwith a boring backcut with equal height release cut on the back cut. I wanted to be able to put wedges in from the rear.

I wanted it all cut up and ready to pull, without the risk of it going over before we were all ready, as might happen with a regular back cut. I wanted a triple check on the site security before making a big boom that could throw pieces a long distance.

Yeah Stig I thought about it, but I didn't gut it because of the back lean and the rising breeze...I decided on full hinge strength and wedges...then the ute to pull it over. Would have gone like a peach one time if I hadn't missed that wee bit.

After the fact I thought I could have gutted maybe just a bar width and I still would have been ok.

5eb6d3624d11fa60bb4d883f58919492.jpg
bafb9c3c6ac6fbbb66d84235da9472bf.jpg
2a533b19438be947ed1ebb82cc1689b5.jpg

Pruned a corridor, hung pulleys, and a line for the HO to hang a delta loop HAM radio antennae.

Harken carbon and plastic pulleys with stainless eye bolts.

Wraptor and APTA day. 100+' to each pulley install.

I think that the guy was penny wise and pound foolish, in that he didn't extend the pulley away more than 1.5-2". I think it will rub through his weighted line as a rock filled paint can goes up and down to compensate for tree movement.

Back