The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

Ian, just caught up with your posts. Welcome aboard. There's some great folks here with a ton of knowledge that have helped me tremendously and it sounds like you can add a lot to that as well. I've archery hunted north and south of you there. Man, you guys can grow some groceries up there (deer too).

Thanks for the welcome limbrat. Much appreciated. We sure can grow groceries, and deer. I've been hunting again for the past 3 years. I pretty much accomplish taking my bow for a walk in the woods. Not putting nearly the effort into it that I need to. If anything, it's just nice to have a reason to go sit in the woods by myself. Alone and quite time is a rarity these days. I'll try to dig up some of the trail cam pics of this monster I been watchin since last year. Hoping he's still around. Amazing deer.

You hunt down there?

Sorry Ian, I'm Ray. Yeah man we've got the mini me's of your deer, tons of hogs, turkeys, gators and mosquitoes. Sometimes it's hard to tell the turkeys from the mosquitoes. I've got a friend up in Princeton Illinois that lets us hunt his farms. He comes down here, gator hunts and fishes with us and we go up and harass his deer and occasionally even kill one. It's a blast hunting the rut anywhere but the midwest is crazy fun. I'd love to see your trail pics, it's amazing how bulletproof a big buck can become, especially in your neck of the woods. When the corn is picked, there's only so many places to hide. Our buddy was telling us about the thickets in Illinois. He came to Florida and found out there really are no thickets in Illinois!

Jim! No need for introduction man. I know who ya are. Hope all is well on the farm! I been lurkin for a while man! I used to live in Wyoming. Up in Dubois. Always think of that place when I hear you talk about living and workin up in Montana. Miss that area. Wish I coulda spent more time, and seen more of Montana. Sure it's super cool. I'd only occasionally and briefly pop over the border and hop in the "boiling river" on the Northern edge of Yellowstone NP. That's bout the extent of my Montana excursions unfortunately...Hope to start getting back out to the greater Yellowstone area when my son's a bit older. 20+ hr drives probably bit rough for a 21 month old. Well, rough on me anyway with him in the truck... That place is near and dear to my heart. Wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a retirement/semi-working situation out there. Just came home when my grandpa was not doing well. Always intended to be back there. Hell, was only supposed to be here for 3/4 months. That was years ago. Wife, house, kid, business, etc. kinda changed how those intentions went.... Wouldn't trade wife and kid for the world though.

I seriously bout pissed my pants a while ago from one of your posts. Somethin bout some dude being an asshole on the road, road rage style, then seeing you get of the truck and just saying something like "jesus". I think he changed his intentions shortly thereafter! Haha. Thanks for the welcome man. Greatly appreciated. Might be big, but I'm doubting your all that ugly, or angry! Haha.

Ray, not sure what the "sorry" is for man. Pretty damn sure you ain't never done a thing to me that justifies an apology! Crackin me up bout the mosquitoes/vs turkey hunting. I guided a few trips in the everglades, and was blown away by the amount of trouble that insects can be. Those damn sand fleas were fuckin horrible. Also ended up with a bunch of damn fire ants finding their way to my hammock one night. That sucked. Midwestern kid and I didn't know what I was getting into. That's not even taking into consideration the crazy ass raccoons that were crafty as hell. Had to ratchet strap Tupperware closed to keep em outta food out in the 10,000 islands area. Crazy. Make sure you get your skeeter permit. Don't want no trouble with the officals eh? ;)

I'd love to hunt hogs someday. We don't have em here yet, but when we inevitably do get the invasive nasty suckers, me and my ar15 will be much better acquainted.

You gator hunt? I bet that's some pretty intense situations... Not sure bout that for me... I'd give er a whack, but I think it'd scare me pretty solid. Water based apex predators give me the willies....

I'll definitely try to round up that pic of the big boy I been keeping an eye on. He's impressive for sure. Hope he's still around... Who knows.

Princeton is a ways north of us by Illinois standards. With that said, if you are ever coming through and headed that way, feel free to give me a shout. You probably take I57 north to get up there. I'm not but 20 minutes or so off of 57. Be more than happy to buy you a drink, or a bite to eat, or just say hi and shoot the shit. Always cool to meet like minded folks. Hope all is well with everyone. Thanks again for making me feel welcome.

Greatly appreciated.

Hey Ian.

Sean Kroll.

Did you go on a road trip with Mike cross-country, maybe Yosemite?

Back in the day, I had long hair. Worked for Spectrum Wilderness at Touch of Nature.

Hey Sean,

How long is back in the day? I was there from 04-2010 I think....

Mike? You mean Mike Stark?

Me and Mike Stark been on lots of road trips together over the years. I was kind of a rd trip whore in college. If somebody was goin somewhere and there was good water, or good climbing, I'd be in. Hell, I'd usually volunteer to take my truck.

Never been to the valley unfortunately. One of those things I really need to get around to. Be kinda disappointing now though, I think. I'm sure it's amazing, but I'm pretty beat up. Back, shoulder, knees, bad left ankle. Hell, I been having trouble with my good ankle lately. Afraid I wouldn't be able to climb the shit I want to if I was in Yosemite. Too many years in a harness, and too many big falls I reckon. Guess that's probly not a good thing given that I'm only 30 huh? Haha. Too much running early on too. Oh well! Enough whining out of me for a while!!!

I bet you know Leif Faber too huh? He recently had a bad accident in Japan. Bad deal but doin ok now fwiw.

You know Eric Ulner, or Jim Thurmond?

(Second attempt!!)

Hi, finally I found THE thread to introduce myself!

As I told Butch, it's very difficult to me to write in English! I live in Argentina, and here we all speak Spanish!

I've got a Forestry Technitian degree for de Comahue National Univeristy, then I've teached and researched there -Soils and Forestry Operations- for about 20 years.
Since I've got my degree, I'm running my own small company, thinning and pruning pine aforestations, also planting.
I've provide training courses for chainsaw operartors.
Some years ago I started to be interested in tree climbing, but I can't find no one here to teach me, so I began to study from the web (videos, ISA e-courses, papers), and books also.
At this moment, I'm trying to translate Boyd's "Ground Worker's Guidebook" for the people who works with me, but I've need help with some topics. Some one can help me?
This is a bit of myself.
Regards

It's Butch, Gabriel.

You asked what a belly was, ropewise. It's when a climber is moving through the tree and his rope passes through limbs, hangs down, and makes a loop, which can get hung up on stuff. Only a groundie can pull the the tail of the climber's rope to remove the belly.

Clear as mud?

Not clear as mud, but neither as water!

The sentences in trouble are the next:

What's the meaning of "belly" in the next sentence?
"After the climber has untied the rope, ask if they want the belly pulled out, and if
so do it in a smooth and careful manner."

And in this one?
Look for "bellies", tangles, and hang-ups. Do not pull out a belly without asking;
but do ask.

Finaly in this one, what do you mean when you said "work the hinge"?
Learn how to work the hinge, and DO NOT STRIKE the climber with the limb.

Thanks to all for the welcome!

Belly can also be used to refer to the curve of a rope, like a pull rope. "you don't need to tension the rope until its dead straight. Leave a bit of a belly in it.

We call a round abdomen/ "stomach" a "belly".

Not clear as mud, but neither as water!

The sentences in trouble are the next:

What's the meaning of "belly" in the next sentence?
"After the climber has untied the rope, ask if they want the belly pulled out, and if
so do it in a smooth and careful manner."

And in this one?
Look for "bellies", tangles, and hang-ups. Do not pull out a belly without asking;
but do ask.

Finaly in this one, what do you mean when you said "work the hinge"?
Learn how to work the hinge, and DO NOT STRIKE the climber with the limb.

Thanks to all for the welcome!

Let the directional hinge swing the limb as intended, supported by the rope appropriately = work the hinge. When the limb detaches, let if fall away from the climber, so it can't strike the climber.

Back