The Official New Boots Thread

I love my Whites. I use the Loggers and have a pair of the general work boots as well. New Whites are best broken in by wearing them continuously for two weeks, only removing them to sleep. They are like slippers now.

Are steel toe boots good for tree work? I am not allowed to use them for firefighting.

My whites are like my 2 best friends that follow me up a tree. The leather has blown my mind. They must have skinned one tough old bull to make these boots. Im a few years into them now and the leather simply is not showing wear. Theyre broken in and molded to me obviously, but the leather is just not showing any signs of working on being worn 6 days a week. I'll make it this season on the sole if Im lucky. The sole construction has held awesome. The arch support is still doing its job as well as ever. 3 years im going on at the moment?

I am not nuts over steel toes in the tree, but I have learned how to work around them and not get hung up by them.

You know Chris, everything you said about your beloved Whites, I can echo.
Just about Wescos instead.
Sometimes you get lucky with the leather, sometimes less so.
I don't think it matters much which brand the boots are, as long as it is one of the top brands.
They'd lose ther rep, if they started stinting on quality.

Losing quality like redwing? 2 pairs and inconsistent sizing between the left and right boot. Never had that problem with any other boot before. They are comfy tho

It seems like if metal toe protectors are a problem for fire guys, it wouldn't be so hard to have protectors made from another material that doesn't get so hot? They already have them in carbon fiber, and there are some bonding resins that could hold the matrix together up to a number of hundreds of degrees before melting. Maybe not enough sales to fire guys to justify the different production?

Hard to say. I am not sure there is a huge need for toe protection in the wildland fire service. A light weight toe cap that would not retain heat would be a good idea, couldn't hurt anything!

We macho fire fighters are all about light weight and most of us dont mind being safer.
It does get hot sometimes, i have had the sole layers on my prized Whites separate, but my pants were on fire too. I was too close.

Can you get arborist boots with carbon fiber caps?

You guys and your boots. I started with Carolinas (crap), Red Wings (much better) and Wescos (outstanding!), which I had rebuilt once. The Commander (from walmart) cost 40 bucks, very comfortable on spurs, lasts about 8 months.

Oh, and my climbing pants are from there, too - 10 bucks.

My stepson needs a pair of work boots for construction and I tried to look up “Commander” on Walmart site. I did not find this exact boot. Did find the “Magnum Commander” which looks similar. If that is the boot you like Butch they appear to be closing it out and only have a few sizes available.

That's probably it. Just look for the super thick spot where the spur's gonna ride. If it ain't thick, don't get it. Refer to that pic I posted.

Well of course the benefit if being able to actually try them on is huge. I like shopping online for gear but boots are so risky, every boots fits different. But when I stuck my feet in the Chippewa I knew. Comfy like a slipper but a good well made sturdy boot. Should be great with the spurs.
I have a pair of chippewas that are insulated I wear in the winter. They are so far the best quality boot I've owned

Can anybody say why all the American logger boots have the narrow heel? I would have said that is a disadvantage to stability of your ankle.

All European logging boots have a wider heel for precisely that reason.

Back