The Garden Thread

I had to bend the tomato leaders and get them growing sideways, the fruit is out of reach. 8)

I pinch the leading tips when the plants are younger to control them if they get leggy. The peppers really do need hot and dry weather to ripen properly, if you have had a long wet season it might be the issue Jay.

Sliced a couple of nice beef steak tomatoes for breakfast .Might sound odd but I've never quite done things exactly to normal .

I've got two early girl plants that are right at 8 feet tall ,staked up and loaded but for some reason they aren't ripening . They will eventually and I'll bet these's a peck sack of tomatoes on each plant .

The Spanish call it hard breakfast - large tomato sliced on toast with raw garlic, olive oil and pepper. Washed down with a large brandy. Perfect start to the day!

Didn't know about rain and not turning red, Paul, that would explain it. The rainy season is supposed to be over, but it is pouring this last week. Not being covered, it makes the tomatoes want to split too. Pinching off....I still don't have quite a handle on pruning tomatoes. I know the recommendations about removing the buds at the junctions, but by doing that you tend to get tall only, and it seems to waste a lot of potential fruit. I kind of get a kick out of seeing how tall things will grow, though.

Wonder why that beef diagram left out the tail? Oxtail soup is an awesome delicious dish, particularly the way the Koreans eat it. The meat falls off the bone.

Hot limes is one appetizer i recall eating at an indian restaurant. Very tasty too. They would bring a plate of limes and other spiced up things as a free service before your dinner. What they lost in income from doing that they surely made up for with the increased beer orders that the hot stuff prompted. A great way to start a meal too.

We were looking for a no cook recipe for canning or pickling some peppers. Rob can't remember the variety, but it looks almost like a wax pepper that is almost as hot as a jalapeño.

Chili papinias or something like is a tad hotter than a jalpeno .The hottest is a habenaro ,if that's the way it's spelled .

The problem is not the hot on ingestion but the exit can light a fire in your breeches if you're not used to eating them . My old big Tom cat George used to eat hot peppers,growling the whole time .Then about a day later bite his butt in his kitty litter box like that might help out or something.Strange cat .

Well with old George he was such a putz I don't think anything would have worked .The idiot that he was he ate the kids "fooler " one time .Of course made of rubber it came out in one piece of which didn't make him a bit happy .

Chili papinias or something like is a tad hotter than a jalpeno .The hottest is a habenaro ,if that's the way it's spelled.
Justa little update to the internal encyclopedia :)
Worlds hottest pepper, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T and the more recently popular champion, Bhut Jolokia

The Bhut Jolokia[1][2] (Assamese: ভূত জলকীয়া bhut jôlôkia; Bangla: নাগা মরিচ naga morich), as it is commonly known—also known variously by other names (see etymology section below) in its native region, sometimes Naga Jolokia—is a chili pepper previously recognized by Guinness World Records as the hottest pepper in the world. The pepper is typically called the ghost chili or ghost pepper by U.S. media.[3][4][5]

The Bhut Jolokia is an interspecific hybrid from the Assam region of northeastern India and parts of neighbouring Bangladesh.[6][7] It grows in the Indian states of Assam, Nagaland and Manipur, and the Sylhet region of Bangladesh. It can also be found in rural Sri Lanka where it is known as Nai Mirris (cobra chili). There was initially some confusion and disagreement about whether the Bhut was a Capsicum frutescens[8] or a Capsicum chinense pepper, but DNA tests showed it to be an interspecies hybrid, mostly C. chinense with some C. frutescens genes.[9]

In 2007, Guinness World Records certified the Bhut Jolokia as the world's hottest chili pepper, 401.5 times hotter than Tabasco sauce.[10] On December 3, 2010, the Bhut Jolokia was replaced as the hottest known chili pepper by the Naga Viper pepper, which has an average peak Scoville rating more than 300,000 points higher than an average Bhut Jolokia - but still not higher than the hottest ever recorded Dorset Naga.[11] In February 2011, Guinness World Records awarded the title of "World's Hottest Chilli" to the Infinity chilli grown in Grantham, England.[12] This chilli rates at 1,067,286 units on the Scoville scale.[13] Later the same month, on February 25, 2011, the title returned to the Naga Viper pepper with a rating of 1,382,118 Scoville Heat Units (SHU).[14] The current "world's hottest" is the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, officially tested at 1,463,700 SHU.[15] These figures are highly controversial among the pepper growing community and tests with more rigorous scientific standards are yet to be conducted on the many various peppers vying for "world's hottest" status.

2817805_f520.jpg

not a chance. I dont mind a good hot pepper once in again but I am not interested in pain escalation. Jalapenos out the jar are plenty hot for me most of the time. My pops in law took on a habanero once on a bit of a dare, burnt hisself something fierce but he toughed it out, wouldn't give the bastard that dared him any satisfaction. Although still talking about it many years alter, I am guessing it took some serious cohones not to cry like a little girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I stick with jalapenos too, great flavor, perfect heat

I got fried once too, some Asian pepper, a trick played on me by some wise guys, though I was a willing participant. It definitely is a learning experience even for an ignoramus.

Hmmm...wonder if you can order some of those really hot ones and have them sent over? Perhaps restrictions as they can burn through a plane's fuselage?

My wife had a curry made with one of those really hot peppers whilst we were up in the north of rural Thailand. It burnt her that badly (she ate most of it though) she couldn't drink anything hot for about 2 years afterwards.

My bud is quite sensitive to hot. My son gave me a chunk of habernaro cheese to try. I broke it out and told him it was a step up from halapeno heat. He wanted some so I gave him a small chunk. He said he felt like he was being rooked, the small piece I gave him. After a couple minutes he thanked me for being kind.

My son has a Halloween party and they do goofy events. His one bud set up a "tough guy" booth. Eating a ghost pepper was one of the events. My youngest son still has a chunk left from last year. No thanks.

Back