T 536 or MS 150 ?

RegC

TreeHouser
The first model being the Husqvarna battery top handle. The second is that little weenie Stihl.

I'm thinking about a new pruning saw....of which the noise is a little less conspicuous than the regular toppers like the 201 and 540.

In some of the more conservation minded areas I've been working lately, the noise of my 540 has seemingly been drawing a lot of negative attention. I'm feeling quite weary of having to explain my actions to neighbour's and passers by. It's not that I don't respect their concerns....more about the time it costs me. I use a hands when it's practical, but not if it's going to take too long.

I've used a 150. Good ergonomics, super light and reliable by all accounts. The 536 is heavier, but seems to have pretty good power and sounds more like a drill. With batteries and charger works out significantly more money to lash out also. I wouldn't consider either a take-down saw....but for pruning I quite like them both.

I'm sort of leaning towards the latter, but was just wondering if anyone has experience or an opinion on either or both. Thanks in advance

Bermy has LOTS of experience with the 150...she loves it. But I'll let her expound. I think DMc uses one, too.

So do I. I absolutely love it for pruning jobs.
I've only used the Husky once, too bulky for pruning IMO. I wasn't much impressed with it.
I think I'll wait a generation ( Of saws) before I go electric on a climbing saw.

I have not used the T 536 but the MS 150 is a very good and reliable saw. It is its micro size that makes it so great not its quietness so I'm not sure it will accomplish your goal. It is a lot quieter than a modded saw in its stock form though, so maybe it would. I had my 150 modded and it has much better power but it does sharpen the tone.

I like the Husky battery saw a lot for pruning where most cuts are below 4 to 6 inches and maybe a big cut or two that gets up to 10 to 12 inches. It's not a saw to bang around as much as some of my older mostly metal saws.

When pruning, everyone on our crew fights over the 536, but we don't have a 150 and I've never used one. We also get alot of compliments and positive remarks from clients, bypasers, muni reps about going the electric route. I'm also going to buy the battery powered blower when available, that will help absorb the cost of the batteries. Alot of towns have rules about using gas motors early in the morning or latter in the afternoon.

I really enjoy my 536. You're right Merle, after a whole 8 hrs of use, the Husky has started acting up. It doesn't start anymore. Only a quick blip and then nothing. Turns out there is only a ninety day warranty as well. Thankfully Treestuff has it and will, I am sure, make things right. Fingers crossed. I think the battery saws need another generation of abuse to work out the bugs.

Just ordered a 150T here. I just keep hearing more good about it. I want the electrics to get a little better yet... Couple more years.
Husky lost me on the last few saws I got for the ground. Just too many little bull shit issues. Then they went to that auto tune crap. No Way Jose'

I have a 150t Reg and it is a blinding little saw once it has had the exhaust fettled with. It is pretty loud though, so would possibly still draw attention.

I have two MS150 T's and run em hard all day long, but not on a big take down, favorite saw for sure but it gets a little louder with muff mod, stock muff not so bad at all.
havent run a E-husky yet so cant compare

I have 2 ms150's(rear handles). One is at the Stihl dealership right now because I blew it up:(. Rebuild parts are on backorder. Winds up there was all kinds of sawdust/oil packed in behind the muffler ...so too much heat. My fault, i blow them out almost daily with the compressor, but I have to start taking them apart more often. These 150s you do have to remove the muffler once in a while and clean up good. I did get about a full year of almost daily use out of it though before this happened.....and i run them hard when wood carving(lotsa high RPM's with very little load). But I love these saws, I could not imagine working without them in my arsenal!!

I might get laughed off this thread, but I was wondering what you folks might think about the battery powered reciprocating saws. Sawzall might be a brand name for such an item. They may be lighter in weight, cheaper, with really powerfull batteries that are also easier to replace, or have multiples of. I think the new technology batteries might recharge really rapidly also. So if you started out the day with two batteries, you might have difficulty outrunning them, assuming you have a groundie working with you who can plug the batteries into the charger when they die.

Just a thought. Please don't crucify me, but if you do crucify me, at least let me have a drink of water once in awhile.
:lol:

Tim

Here is a link to a Milwaukee 28 volt Sawzall. Be sure to at least read the first review. The guy uses it for arb work. I haven't been able to find a weight spec on it. Battery recharge takes one hour, I think.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/0719-20

Tim

P.S. I think I just had a piece of malware from Amazon.com take a run at me on my Android OS handheld computer. Every time I tried to copy and paste a link that was for Milwaukee's own website, Amazon hijacked it in the process of doing the "Copy" command, so that the link I posted here would take you to an Amazon page that would allow you to buy the item, instead of the page I wanted you all to see that contained all of the pertinent information and the review I mentioned. I had to go up to the address bar and copy that in order to give you the link I actually wanted you to see. Pretty underhanded behaviour on Amazon's part, in my opinion.
:X

Chainsaw10 is a carver I'm guessing he gets better control with a rear handle??????
I remember seeing his work in another thread
Pretty freaking cool!!!!

The ms150t is great. Not very loud in my opinion, mine is stock. The only downside is the cost of chains. However, the smaller chain is what makes quality pruning cuts which was previously hand saw work where a ms200 would not make a good cut due to space or tearing bark. I'm glad I bought it!

Thanks for your response, RopeArmour. I know you know this, but I'll mention it for those reading this thread who may not have experience with the tool. Jamming the "shoe" of the tool hard up against the piece to be cut helps to minimize the bouncing that the saw can cause when not held against the work hard enough. If it's not pushed up against the work hard enough, the teeth tend to catch, and it's the body of the saw that goes back and forth instead of the blade, and all of that mass can shake things. If one tries to cut a long, thin item away from its point of connection to something more substantial, with no way to secure at least one side of it, it can be tough to get it to hold still.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post, RopeArmour! Much appreciated.

Tim

The ms150t is great. Not very loud in my opinion, mine is stock. The only downside is the cost of chains. However, the smaller chain is what makes quality pruning cuts which was previously hand saw work where a ms200 would not make a good cut due to space or tearing bark. I'm glad I bought it!

Yeah, it seems like everyone that owns one is absolutely in love with it. Maybe someday...

Tim

I agree. There is no chain on the market that cuts as smooth as this mini 1/4".....this chain is a big part of what makes these saws so great. I also converted to a 1/4" sprocket on my ms201, and a few ms250's.....and they absolutely rip with the mini 1/4" stihl chain! Extremely smoothe and fast cuts that you can't achieve with any other chain. I bought a 25ft roll of this chain so I could avoid the big cost of individual chains, so I'm set for a while.

I'm not convinced the battery saws are foolproof enough yet for the investment. I also think the balance of the 150 is better. My chainsaw carving friend has the battery stihls and he isn't all that sold on them, had some issues with the batteries in the earlier models.
As others have said, give the battery saws some more time and see what I provements they make, weight, balance, and cost over time...

Back