Stump pulling with firetruck

pantheraba

More biners!!!
What happens when a young man has his own backhoe, firetruck and his father's chainsaw...and a 9 foot high sweetgum stump?

Madness....

I took down this gum several months ago...we left it high so we could do exactly what we did today.

I had dug out some of the large roots on the backside of the tree a few months ago and today Alex (my son), used his backhoe to improve on what I had done by hand. When I got home from work today, he had an approx. three foot deep trench around the backside (non-driveway side) of the stump and tried to pull it toward the driveway...nope, didn't budge it, though he did smoke the tires on the firetruck. (He and a buddy had hooked 2 strong pickups to it a few weeks ago and tried to pull it over...naaahhhh.)

So, he dug out the front side, strapped his firetruck to it and snatched it pretty good. The video shows the result.

He tried to then pull it straight out of the hole but that didn't work at all.

I took an old short bull rope, 3 strand, redirected it to a gum to the side and he rolled the stump up and out of the hole...I flubbed that video...thought I was taping but in my distracted state (Hayden was more interested in stomping in mud puddles with his rubber boots than watching the stump roll up out of the hole) I didn't hit the REC button properly.

But, it did roll out..though the tenex on my redirect really bit deep into the tree. I have heard of bark slipping but never seen it...I guess I have now.

It's not real dramatic video but it shows the process.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thOlOksb_tQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thOlOksb_tQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attachments

• PICT0015 (2).JPG
    PICT0015 (2).JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0016 (2).JPG
    PICT0016 (2).JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0017 (2).JPG
    PICT0017 (2).JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't believe we didn't fire up the siren just before he pulled it...THAT would epitomize the ultimate hillbilly.:lol:

Maybe I can dub that in....:/:

Hmmm.... so now you get to TD the redirect tree? ;)

hahaha...maybe...ain't that a bummer? But, it is a gum, too, and I thoroughly do NOT like gums...taking it down will mean less gum balls to worry with.:D

You pull it out and then you own it. Does anyone rent stump grinders near you? Its a better way to go disposal wise.

Now the siren would have been the shitz nit.:lol::lol::lol:

Gonna clean off the roots with a fire hose?

HAH..you are as crazy as me...I asked Alex the same thing. He said two problems...

1. he'd have to hook directly into the hydrant (which just happens to be in his front yard :/:) which is pretty illegal.

2. the high volume of water he would suck down would stir up the water lines and the neighborhood would have some brown water for awhile...your popularity goes way down at that point.

You pull it out and then you own it. Does anyone rent stump grinders near you? Its a better way to go disposal wise.

Yeah, we are still pondering that little problem. It may get minimized by removing the spar and then rolling the stump down by the burning pit in the woods...but renting a stump grinder is a good thing to consider. He has some small stumps he inherited in the front yard...I'll get him to check into it.

Can you use a stump grinder on a stump that is no longer in the ground?
I can visualize some undesirable implications.

Can you use a stump grinder on a stump that is no longer in the ground?
I can visualize some undesirable implications.

Yeah I know a guy that is contracted in to grind up stumps in a green waste yard. They hold the stumps for him with an excavator and he grinds them up good before they are land filled.

-- ------

You'll bust something snatching stumps like that mate a steady pull is far better...amazing how the buggers hang on for so long !

Gary, I'm glad everyone lived. Man that was a lot of work to be burdened with a great honkin chunk of trash. A stumpgrinder would have taken less time, less effort and left far less mess.

:lol: Justin, you are very right..it is a pretty big mess...but, CV is right, too. I think Hayden will be bragging about using a firetruck to pull a tree over for awhile.

You could start a regular service, Gary.

Hahaha...great idea...ride around the neighborhoods with the siren going, passing out flyers for tree work...and "we'll pull your stumps OUT of the ground with a firetruck."

Local kids would be our best salesmen, wanting a firetruck to come to their house. :lol:

OK, I'll ask...how come you didn't take it out with the backhoe, like a normal person, instead of the hillbilly method?
:)

Back