Strength of Ramp Per axle Question

Go big, yes, but it tends to be really heavy to move that around, and more expensive too.

The rating per axle is used for finding the optimum size of ramps for a given load, just what you need to be secure but no more.
Or the biggest machinery on a given ramp.

It isn't only a matter of weight, but the distance between the axles versus the ramp's length is equally important.
The official max load is given for the middle of the ramps, it's the weakest point (articulated ramp or not). When the axle moves toward the ramp's contact point (ground or truck), the acceptable weight increases greatly.
- If your piece of equipment is longer than the ramps, they see only one axle at a time. It's the heaviest machinery possible, nearly twice the axle load rating.
- If your piece of equipment is shorter than the ramps, the front axle is still on the ramps when the rear axle comes on them, so they have to hold both individual loads. But then, as the axles are both near the ramp's contact points, they could be heavier than the half max load rating. The machinery could be 1,5 x the axle load rating, for example. The manufacturer should give the formula or the graph showing that.
If the distance between the axles becomes shorter and shorter, the total weight tends to come closer to the axle load rating.

With tracks during the climb, it's hard to tell where the pressure points are located and which load is on each (except with the humped ramps), so they stay on the safety side and call that "one point".

During the maths, careful with the uneven load distribution on the axles, like a farm tractor ( or a loader with a big log). Take the actual heavier axle in count, not half the total weight.
Don't forget that the load increases on the "low" axle when the you drive up (or down) the ramps, due to the slope. Keep the heavier axle over the lighter axle. That prevents tipping issues too.
And move slowly on them, or that will greatly increase the apparent weight.

I hope my text isn't too muddy, is that make sens ?

PS, actually, with the frequent reputation of "gear breaker" on the tree men, you should take a more comfortable security margin !:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The folding ramps seems a no go. Although those are really what I'm after. It's gonna suck putting the solid 12' ramps on the head ache rack of the bucket, and on the roof of the chip truck.

I talked to them in the "Live Chat" about the folding ramps. He would not give me a overall weight capacity. Asked multiple times. Instead he wanted to know the make and model of the vehicle. Still would not answer me, then wanted me to call him direct. Really? Come on now!

So I'll be on the look out for foldable 12' ramps that will hold about 2500lbs. If anyone see's any lemme know please. Otherwise it looks like I'm stuck with 12' fixed lengths.

I bought a set of 10' folding aluminum ramps a few years back that were stickered as 1000 pounds each. They assured me repeatedly that they would hold 2k easy as there was a safety factor built in. Took them home and went to load my 1200 pound dingo. Crash!! First time and broke at the hinge. When I called they said the Ramps were 1200 pounders and mis labeled.... not much of a safety factor..

Folding 12' ramps? At first blush, sliding ramps sound easier. Sliding like an extension ladder. A single hinge isn't so fun sounding to design.

Dambach ramps tells me.

"As long you don't go over 3000 pounds, the ramps are guaranteed to hold that.
Just remember please that excessive "gunning" of the machine will put stress on the ramps. Go slowly and deliberately and you will have them for
a very long time!"

I'm thinking I can add a brace to each side, or a drop down leg.... "Just in case".

The folding feature is really a key factor. Can you tell?:|:

Not a bad idea. So your saying a fit to size cable running underneath from tip to tip. That what the ramps will not stretch or "flatten" out.

I like that.

Best if there is a leg between the hinge and cable to form a triangle look to the cable. Like an upside down suspension bridge.

images

The ends of the cables should be very strongly bolted to the ramps, and in a very sturdy place, because there is a lot of stress on them.

Back