Strength of Ramp Per axle Question

brendonv

Tree Hugger
So I'm looking at a set of ramps. They will support 2000 lbs per axle. I just cannot wrap my head around that sort of weight rating.

If they hold 2000 lbs per axle, Would they support 4,000 at one given time? I mean, both axles are on the ramps at one time, meaning they will have to support 4k in my mind.

The manufacturers engineers will not give me the safety factor because of liability, they are lame.

I'm just perplexed by that sort of weight rating. Could be simple, just over my head at the minute.

My buddy has a set rated at 4,000/ axle. He drives cars and trucks of all sorts up those things without an issue. If they're for the mini I would say you are ok. As far as your question though, I have no idea.

I am trying to make a connection with either you or your friend for that winch. PM me with a couple more details so I can figure it out.

I'm just perplexed by that sort of weight rating.

That is a different way to specify the rating.

My gut tells me you would need a ramp rated for the total weight that will be placed on it. IE if two 2000# axles will be on the ramp at the same time the ramp needs to be rated for 4000#.

Axle loading is a point loading rating for the ramps.

A tracked machine spreads the load out further on a straight ramp, decreasing point load.

How long are the ramps?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They are 12'

She told me they classify a tracked machine as one axle. Thought that was weird. I'm looking to load the Thomas, and a Ditch Witch 650 in the future.

They are fold-able, that's what I'm after.

They are from Discount ramps. The ramp calculator tells me I need 10', 12' would feel better.

smart-car-ramp-5.jpg

Brendon do they have a pin or other mechanism to hold them to the truck? When you get that 650 there is a big drop when the tracks crest the edge of a truck to ramp. Straps will do the job, but a pin/hole is much better.

Every ramp should have a positive attachment mechanism of some type...to do otherwise is begging for serious grief.

Again, Dave has 7500# ramps. Ya know, 7500# capacity.

Cool thanks, so do discount ramps. Do Daves ramps fold? No. But thanks.

I'm asking about a weight rating, I know Dave sells ramps, does not have what I'm looking for.

I will put ratchet straps, then some sort of pin in the top. I do not want to roll off the back of the truck again. :|:

I drilled a hole straight thru the flat plate that sits on the truck bed. A regular bolt dropped in the hole will work. I have a few flat elevator bolts now!

She told me they classify a tracked machine as one axle. Thought that was weird.

No if there is a hump in the ramp a tracked machine will place all it's weight on that one point.

Okay looking at the ramps on Discounts site, I feel the Per axle is a mistake and the ramps are rated for 2000#'s total.

I found this on another ramp set there for the smart car.
Smart Hauler, these ramps provide the right angle for adequate clearance as well as a 2,000 lb weight limit ideally suited to your lightweight, and eco-friendly Smart car.
Smart cars are weighing 1600#'s total. So a 2000# rated ramp makes sense.

One option to make them work would be to add a mid point support that went to the ground. Much like on their heavier duty long ramps.

This one is over kill from one of their heavier versions but gives you an idea.
hanging-support-stand.jpg

I saw where you got that info. A slight different ramp. Those ramps are 54 lbs each, and wider. Those show a 1,000lbs /ramp weight limit

The ones I was looking at, (the other smart car ramps) are heavier and skinnier. And show a 2,000lb per axle weight limit on each ramp. Weird, I am going to call them. Just a silly way of rating them IMO.

Overall weight here are comparisons between my currents and the ones I want. Same width, just 3' shorter. My currents are 39 lbs, these are 56 lbs each.

4.3lbs per foot for 1500 capacity per 9' ramp
4.6 lbs per foot for 2,000 per axle per 12' ramp

If you have two 2,000lb axles on the ramp at one time, wouldn't it have to hold 4,000 lbs. That's where they are getting me.

So I take that to mean a vehicle with a front and a rear axle that weighs one and three quarters tons can safely use that set of ramps, while a single axle trailer of one and one quarter tons is overweight for them...as an example.

Every ramp should have a positive attachment mechanism of some type...to do otherwise is begging for serious grief.
True statement .I slid the ramps off the back of a triaxle with a 14,000 pound D4 Cat and sheared both beaver tails off with the blade .The ramps were 4 by 12 by 8 foot white oak .

Cool thanks, so do discount ramps. Do Daves ramps fold? No. But thanks.

I'm asking about a weight rating, I know Dave sells ramps, does not have what I'm looking for.

I will put ratchet straps, then some sort of pin in the top. I do not want to roll off the back of the truck again. :|:

No worries. You didnt specify you had your heart set on those, nor did you mention they had to be foldable. I was only looking to provide you with another viable option other than what you mentioned. Obviously the manufacturer does not want your business considering their reply to your question, and yet your still wanting to give them your money. Do what you will.

Yes for certain.

Brings to mind about 10 years ago, snowmobiling with all my buddys, about a 1 1/2hr drive to where we unloaded and glided all day through the awesome mountains, upon returning we all went to load up, my buddy was showing off on his new mmax 700, came around to the truck took his helmet off and then went to load kinda quick, the unsecured ramp of the pick-up mounted sled deck popped up and his machine wedged itself under the back of the pick-up catapulting the ramp over and hitting him in the face, broken nose/cheek, two holes from some studs punched deep into either side of his face and knocked unconcious. We thought he was dead, but he came to and he recoverd fully just fine. ER trip and stitches and whatnot, but nothing longterm.

During my time with the USFS I did ATV and snowmobile instruction/certification. As an agency, we had many more lost time accidents with loading and unloading than with actual operations. This is even more striking when you realize that the time spent doing those things was tiny compared to actual riding. Unsecured ramps and skipping PPE use when loading or unloading was the biggest issue.

I would buy ramps, that added together (2000 plus 2000 for example) would equal twice the weight of what I wanted to run up them. Reason being is that I believe in over kill. My F350 has a curb weight of about 8500 pounds. I would buy ramps that would equal that weight each. Why you ask? Because in my experience, I will eventually use those ramps in a pinch for 1)something bigger in high hopes, and 2) chances are, I will eventually own something bigger that will need them. Buy once, use longer.

I have a set of ramps that have both ratings. Something like 3k per axle and 5k total load fwiw. Seems silly not to have an overall rating

Back