StraightTalk

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Has anyone used any of these no contract phone companies like StraightTalk? We are looking into dropping Verizon for a cheaper alternative. We use them for work so they need to be reliable and i am hoping to get faster Internet than I have now (3g).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, thanks but those rates are quite a bit higher than Straight Talk is. There is also a local company selling unlimited plans for $35 per month.

I think Straight Talk with unlimited is around 50 in these parts .We have Verizon but only use less than 20 minutes per month .

There was some deal going here, where if your home location was within a certain range, you could boost your reception there with an antennae that they phone company provided. It was of no use when away from the antennae, but at least you could be contacted at the number at home. Cell phone companies had to install their own large area antennas, maybe they are cooperating now?

I think the phone companies look at the expense of maintaining pay phones, more than the convenience or possibly still a necessity that they will provide, and decide that they aren't required. A false premise that they are no longer needed, lets them off the hook. I still see a few, one is at the post office.

I remember writing estimates all day long. Needed a pocket full of quarters, so when I received a page from a client I could call them from the nearest pay phone.

Another obsolete item....pagers...lol

In the fox valley straight talk is crap runs off att. Verizon prepaid get screwed with roaming charges north of highway 10. Currently with prepaid us cellular. Havent found any prepaid carriers yet that have better internet than on contract phone for some reason or another. next is boost mobile or airfire if uscellular pisses me off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks mek. Where do you live????? You must be close.....

By the way, we decided to just stick with Verizon, AGAIN. We are going to look at USCellular but I doubt they will beat our deal with Verizon. My wife gets a nice discount through he work and they just increased the % off.

I work for the miserable big orange in the valley. Did your mom ever work for we energies? Or maybe that was some other tree company in the valley.

I remember writing estimates all day long. Needed a pocket full of quarters, so when I received a page from a client I could call them from the nearest pay phone.

Another obsolete item....pagers...lol

I remember carrying a Motorola Phone/Radio, a Nokia, truck had a radio that honked the horn and a Digital pager. Sooooooo. If I was in an area my phones and radios did not work, often they could text page me from the office directly. Guess what the page would read?? "Call Office".So I would break off everything I was doing to drive down the road and either find cell service or a pay phone. I would then call the office to find out they had very few words for me... Like... "Check on lot #bla bla and QC if possible." Often times it was a 20 minute drive each way to find out this little tid bit of information they could have paged me direct with. Used to piss me off to no end... Or "Call So and So by 5PM.... " OMG the vocabulary that would come out of my mouth. This would go on all day.. Often all units were going off ringing, honking and beeping at once. Needless to say... I hate pagers and phone with a passion for the most part.

Back