Stihl 201 upgrade kit

I don't think Old Irish ever got his full kit at $119 in Montana. He was missing the carb.
Only got the flywheel and module.

I dont buy crap from b anymore. I cut from them years ago. Thinking they got to big for their britches IMO.

Stihl dealer posted this on my website in that above thread.

List price is $48 for the 1800 kit and $55 for the 1802 kit
That's here in the good ole USA

Lets see if I got this right. You buy a saw and it is not performing correct. Then you not only think about buying parts to get it right you actually do it to? That would never fly here, it would be on desk faster than you can say idle.

My choice then is to get it to perform correct or refund. Then it is up to me to claim it as warranty or put it in good will account..

Being dealer in US sure seem a lot easier...

They won't refund it, they won't pay for the repair, so you've got a shit saw or pay a bit more to get it working right.
Now one can bitch and wriggle, curse Stihl to the high heavens, wring ones hands at the cruel injustice of it or buy the upgrade stuff and have a great saw.
The key thing is, is it worth it? The answer is yes.http://youtu.be/7LOi1B-JLDI

I am know they updated lots of them here on warranty. We have consumer laws here that they must abide or quit selling.
But I guess that is up to each Market and distributors location.

I came back for more. My 'old' 201 got dropped from a tree, good on it. I've got two of the newer ones now and they seem much better.

It puts a big dent in the credibility.
Here they introduced the 357 in '00 and they had lots of issues. Sales dropped to almost nothing after 6 months sale and 254 sold out.
They stood in for a hard decision. Continue 254 and hold sales for 357 until it was ready, perhaps loose a couple customers in process.
Other option was to drop production of the 254 and continue sale of 357, loose a bit more customers but save the cost of another production run of a saw that was to be outdated shortly. So they did the later and lost 5% market for good, 25% temporarily.
Production got going and sales increased as the saw got better. Another dent in sales when auto decomp came in the picture, a couple more lost temporay that came back a year or so later when they got it going good again. Then came same dilemma as the 560 was ready almost to go on market. Same path was chosen with same result.

It is nothing surprising to manufacturer, they spend a lot of money to know what reactions it will be on market from consumer. How much cost there is involved compared to potential gain. Huge resources and money is spent on this...

They know how you react...

That's chainsaw research and development for you. At one time I remember when a few new models were introduced, they were built super light to attract the endusers.
Just like the very earlier units of the Stihl 064AV That I bought in '86. 85cc and only weighing 14.1 lbs, that's lighter then a MS460 today. But it didn't take long for breakage to occur in normal pro use so they were fattened up gradually until their well over the 14.1 lb mark. I had no problems with mine probably due to the fact the longest bar I ran on it was 20" .
Same with my brothers first run of the Jonsered 670, super light but the crankcase and bottom end components had to be eventually beefed up due to warranty issues, but my brother had no problems.
Those saws were a beauty to run when doing piecework production.

The 266 and 570 was in my opinion as good as they got.
272 was very good too, but it was less bullet proof as it was closer to the limits of what it could be taken out of case. This meant it needed a person with ear and feel for saw and how it should run. Then it lasted a long time and was a great saw.

Well said Magnus, a good tradesmen always knows the limits and how to take care of their tools.

I have a 1993 272XP with only about 4 tanks run through it and that saw will probably last me for the rest of my working career doing arborist work.
I missed out on that saw when it was first introduced in the early '90s as I was a Stihl only operator back then. Even in today standards the 272 is still a very impressive saw.
Last photo shows where I converted it to a HD air filter and lightened it up a little bit to get it down to my early 372XP weight. The lead weight wedge shown came out of its chain brake lever

SDC12088.jpg SDC12072.jpg

Thanks, Mb. I was tired of the pine here in the south clogging up my old dogs and it sliding around the tree....

Back