St. Patrick's Day Oak Removal

Right on. Well done man. You more easterly folks have some really glorious hardwoods. Makes a guy really jealous. FWIW: I think Masterblaster makes a good point: you want to have a really keen line of sight on what your cutting. Still, you guys rock.

I'm not above cutting over my head, don't get me wrong. I just try to keep that to a minimum.

Attachments

• Overhand techniqie.JPG
    Overhand techniqie.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 6
Maybe it's a different subject, but don't you tend to cut higher with crane picks, MB? Easier to duck. :/:

Just that sometimes a tree swings a bit after leaving the cut, limb weight or the boom placement, and it is easier to duck under if you are lower in relation to the cut. Every now and then when removing a top.. Ideally it just drifts away from you as planned.

Ah, yea. I usually make my crane cuts eye level, so I can drop down low if needed. I've rarely needed to do that; it's all in how you make the cut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haven't been on for a while. I try to be eye level with the cuts. You gotta be able to duck in case it doesn't come off perfect or if it flips. The best are when the pick just sits an inch above the cut and balances perfectly. Not quite there yet, but did have some really nice picks this past weekend on a silver maple.

Back