Spur Pad Opinions

I bought the geckos when they 1st came out for the pads. I have not used any better yet & caddies are the only thing that come close. I have yet to try the newer generation of big-buck pads though

I am going to try some soccer shin guards first then try other pads because all the guys at work love the Buck and Weaver big velcro pads with the insert. I am thinking I may just have candy legs.
Everybody's different Gauge, I used to climb transmission poles with a guy whose legs bled regardless of what he did. There were very few pad options back then so he'd wrap his calves in rags before putting on his spikes and then bleed through pants and rags. He never cried uncle though, he was one tough yankee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right on, I didn't want to come down but they were digging into my bone itself in some way. I was starting to get really uncomfortable and sense I am still a little green I remembered that I should come down if uncomfortable.

Well I am a little tight funded right now (just starting out) and the shin pads were just 10 bucks (for good ones) so I will wear then under the pads we already have at work and try to make do until I can afford equipment thats better suited for me :)

Lengthen the spur as much as is workable and use leverage in your favor. Also try other peoples spurs not only to see what their pads feel like but also the climber itself. (Just because they all look roughly L shaped dosen't mean they interact with your leg and foot the same.)

Lengthen the spur as much as is workable and use leverage in your favor. Also try other peoples spurs not only to see what their pads feel like but also the climber itself. (Just because they all look roughly L shaped dosen't mean they interact with your leg and foot the same.)

Thanks Merle I will try that. We have 2 sets of spurs, both Bucks. One set has the Buck velcro pads with insert the other has just the leather l pads with no inserts. The no insert spurs feel much better but I notice they put a ton of strain on my legs when I sit back off the tree in them. I did lengthen the l pad spurs the other day to the higher potion of my lower leg and it felt much better. The steel insert pads feel much sturdier but they were hurting me. Steve aka FisherCat may be coming by today so we can try some new things out. He is my mentor and I have already learned much from him. Thanks again.

Sure.

Another thing, start with the end in mind. What is your standard regarding what spurs will do for you? Mine is that I can spend 8 hours or more in them on a take down tree and have no problems with that.

One way I caused myself a bunch of pain and fatigue in my early days (in addition to using Buckingham Irons for about a week) was to lean back too far from the tree.

Now, sharp gaffs always, pole gaffs most of the time , tree gaffs only on the thickest sluffiest bark, and standing primarily upright.

I would consider my position probably middle of the road in between far (couple feet or more) and near (foot or less). We are doing primarily take downs, actually that's 99% right now. We have done a couple dead limb jobs but everything I have been on so far is removals. I need to be in the tree 6-8 hours to stay productive. And believe me, right now if I find a crotch I have my back in for spur relief as long as I am not trapped or in a bad saw position. I would love to get a hold of a set of climb right aluminum spurs, i would be happy as a lark lol.

I have a set I'd let go if you're interested. Minus the pads but if your taller ud be better off adding the stein pads to them as they adjust longer

Back