Spur Footplates

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
35033.jpg

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=272#

It says DO NOT USE with aluminum climbers...
https://www.treestuff.com/store/images/pdf/footplate.pdf

Anyone know why?

Eric (EMR), you got some of these right? Do you like them?

Yeah I have them. I really like them. I have been using them for several months now and they have helped out quite a bit with my foot pain. I can spend all day in my spikes much easier now than without them. I say they are worth the money. I have not noticed a down side to using them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

galvanic corrosion, it'd be a while until it became a problem. but i do believe the bottoms of the ali spurs are thicker. could be a mounting issue

I have the titanium climbers. Buckingham.

And I am not messing with you anywhere right now.

Got a link? I am not even sure what you're talking about.

Galvanic corrosion ?????
Ummm standing on a metal plate mounted on an aluminum shaft.
The metal plate would slowly but surely cut thru your spur shank.
Steel hard, aluminum soft.
It says the climbers have to be inspected daily for wear, the plate is quite loose fitting so if they are telling you to inspect your steel climbers daily, aluminum it would chew thru like nothing.
I bet it wouldnt even take that long.

Those last two post from EMR seem fishy to me.

"And I am not messing with you anywhere right now. "

And by right now, did that mean that second.

I see a diabolical plan.

I don't dare say more or Erik might kill me.

:lol:

Don't worry about your safety. I am not in the killing mood. Right now.

Word on the street is that Mean Joe has put a contract out on ya Nick.
I guess those footplates won't fit my Kleins, but I would buy a pair if they would.

You can make some out of plywood, I'm told. One piece on top, one on the bottom, and a spacer in front and back of the shank. The guy said they lasted for a while til the rain caught up to them, at which point he made a new set.

Duane had the problem that with the higher heel of most spur boots, which isn't compensated for in the plates, his ankle bone was rubbing the shank and it hurt.

It is because the aluminum climbers are too thick on the stirrup to accept the footplates.

One downside for sure is the additional weight...a set adds nearly a pound to each spur. That said, one of my climbing partners swore by them. Not for me, but that's the way it is with ALL climbing gear, no?

To each his own. As time moves on, so many unique styles of getting up the tree are coming to light.

Indeed, B. For tree workers who have the chance to rest their weight in a climbline, sit or stand on a limb, the foot plate seems needless. but for a lineman working on a pole I can tell you from experience, working for hours on end and not being able to relieve the weight off the spurs, the foot plate works wonders.

Back