Short bar techniques.

Joking aside I'd heard before that some of our west coast brethren prefer the long bars simpley because of the slopes . I can only assertain that myself living in land flat as a table top .

Joking aside I'd heard before that some of our west coast brethren prefer the long bars simpley because of the slopes . I can only assertain that myself living in land flat as a table top .

You can bet Danny, one of the contract fallers who works for me, would have liked to have about 18 more inches of bar on this fell, to keep from having to work on the downhill side to finish off the face.

That's a hopped up 660 with a 42 inch bar.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 11
I learned something that is a bit of a forehead slapper. We were cutting lombardi poplars, and our 36" 660 combo was to little, and we don't keep our 50" 088 combo barred up.

I was taking a bunch of time to get the double cuts to match up just right, and got joked about carving an eagle.

With good enough steering corners, bypassing both cuts with the tip of the bar from both side is simply like gutting the hinge, and way easier than matching everything.

Duane was falling with the lean with the lean, whereas, my "eagle stump" was a pullover, pretty dead opposite the lean, so even still, I could have probably been okay with a bar tip bypass, and having triangular shaped holding corners. I'd messed up earlier that morning with that unwanted aforementioned tag team wedging technique from How'd It Go Today.

YUP! I would have not liked to had to even try that with a 42 plus bar!
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QbwFHPajB4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes sir.. Lightening struck and rotten to the ground. I went as high as I thought I needed to...Felling against the lean and I wanted to have some wedging ability even though we had rope in it. JIC. I toe kicked that rot and could pull it out by hand.

Attachments

• 100_0883.1.jpg
    100_0883.1.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0882.1.jpg
    100_0882.1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 8
Now granted I did not have the terrain to deal with like Burnam's man there. I was actually surprised at how good a fiber I had for a hinge considering how dead it was. Often times, they will pop at the hinge brittle as all get out. Why we also put a limit line as well as the pull line. If one side of the hinge gave, it could have hit a shop. Limit line would swing it into the driveway. Singing to the choir LOL. You wrote the book and I have a cheap tee shirt LOL

High compliment coming from you Gerry my friend.. Thanks
Poor bugger that had to cut it the rest the way down and the trunk.... The HO called me and said his saw kept going dull. The lightening made Fulgurite down the trunk and into the ground. You can see some of the crystals on the end of the log.
I was lucky.. I only needed to fell it and buck it for a tractor to move it out of the driveway

Fulgurite

I've never have made an association the phenomena, Stephan. But I have wondered at times why my chain dulled in what I thought was clean wood.

You or somebody else posted that link before. Interesting phenomena. I've found them things where hot powerlines have laid on the ground and burned craters into the earth. During my utility years. Looked liked little volcano's glowing,spitting and sputtering when we came on the scene.

very impressive undercut............i want one of those axe holders.................

I've only ever done a couple of those under cuts .That was to toss the tree uphill to keep it out of the river .'tain't all that easy for a flat lander .

I didn't know any better at the time but that could come back to bite you if the tree bounced over the stump and gravity took over .Lucky I guess because they never did .

Back