Short bar techniques.

Quite awhile ago there were some photos posted here of someone's son that was logging a burnt out forest, and there was commentary on how hard it was on chains.

You got to saw some lean into it!

That line got my attention, too. Here are some pictures of a spar I cut at my house five years ago. I should have undercut it more -- I made a good 1/3 depth face-cut...and, as Al says, should not have left a high back-cut. We pulled it with a rope and then it just stopped...jammed up and not moving, like a mule. It really perplexed me at the time. I am slowly starting to learn how these things are SUPPOSED to work.

"Saw some lean into it"...I needed to know that five years ago!

Attachments

• IMG_0045 (2).jpg
    IMG_0045 (2).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0047 (2).jpg
    IMG_0047 (2).jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0050 (2).jpg
    IMG_0050 (2).jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 16
Looks like you just cut too slowly and stopped too soon. The spar never got moving fast enough to break that fat hinge.

When falling stubs just figure using about half as much hinge as you would on a full size tree. Because a stub lacks the mass and momentum that a full size tree has to break the hinge. So with the normal recommended amount of hinge for guiding a tree, a stub will often stall on the face when it closes. Which can open a can of worms in itself to get it off the stump square. If you happen to cut through one corner a stub will often fall quickly to the holding corner. Incidentally, having a wide face helps a lot here too. Because it gives a stub more room to tip and gain the needed momentum to break the hinge square and clean.

...Incidentally, having a wide face helps a lot here too. Because it gives a stub more room to tip and gain the needed momentum to break the hinge square and clean.

Absolutely.

Gutting the hinge is a help as well. Do so striving at leaving even corners.

You are right, Brian...good input, all...thanks.

It's cool when you got the 3 B's all in a row with good advice...Brian, Beranek and Burnham. :)

You can grow quite the garden with the stuff you're shoveling, Gary. :lol:
I'm just a hack tree cutter, most of what I know about tree work has been learned from people like Burnham and Jerry here on the forums. You can't compare the teacher to the student. :)

When it comes to savvy advice on the quirks of chainsaw maintenance and management, you stand tall, Brian. And that's no garden compost.

A picture is worth a thousand words .This is about a 3 1/2 foot dead ash spar 20 foot more or less .Straight even cut about a 1/2" of hinge wood .I'd have cut a higher fall cut but I wasn't the one doing the cutting .

Attachments

• Toms big ash 005.jpg
    Toms big ash 005.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 31
Brian has a good and sharp wit to put things "most accurately", quickly and in the fewest words possible.

Just my opinion.

Funny how things go. When I first came into the House I thought Brian was the devil. Ha!

Sorry for the derail.

Brian, not really a shovel full...OK, maybe a spoonful. :)

I know that Jerry and Burnham are gurus of the world of sawyering...but you are always quick to share what you know and, as Jerry said, do it succinctly and freely. You do know LOTS more than me and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to share knowledge that will make us more efficient (and often safer). You don't hesitate to pass along good tips...folks appreciate that.

Don't tell the devil you know me. ;)

Back