Ropetek Hitch Hiker

Paul sent me some Yale Imori to try with the Hitch Hiker. I've only had a few climbs so far with it but it seems real nice. Grippy and safe but still slides easily with a properly adjusted hitch. This is how I will set the Hitch Hiker for a frog-walker or as in this picture an auto-belay when spurring up a tree with a top rope. Again, when the hitch is ajusted right the weight of the trailing line, once a few feet up the tree, will be enough to keep the HH self-advancing.

What a fun tool!

Dave

100_4752-1.jpg

Paul, Dave, and others, what is the wear pattern like on the hitch cord after repeated descents? Or, is it too soon to tell? I've got high hopes for this tool.

Jack, even though I have a lot of time on my first prototype, this new model has only seen a few trees. I saw very little hitch wear on the first one but with its all steel construction I had to be real careful on descents because of the heat build up. Not so with the new one. :D With the changes Paul has made in this new model a new level of abuse can now be achieved.:evil:

Dave

chomping at the bit :)

Nick, is that for a neck tether attachment point?

Where is the dinnerplate sized smiley?

I'll just have to use a lot of the small ones:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

After being on hold for ½ hr, I finally managed to get through to an actual person in the Royal mail yesterday.
And promptly got an apology and a promise that she would personally make sure I had my package today.

So when I came home, these were waiting for me.

We'll take ½ day off friday and go practice SRT:D

P1020312.JPG

Willie, you are so much ahead of me, gear wise.
So I'm really enjoying the hell out of this:lol:

Well if you used full sized bars you'd be more efficient, then get more gear.
I know they say it ain't the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean, but it takes a loooong time to get to England in a row boat:p

I think they forgot the oars, this time.
But the Hitchhikers got here finally, you are envious , life is good:)

The Hitch Hiker is the only ascent/descent device that works on a line loaded with bodyweight below the user. You can easily ascend and more importantly descend on the rope while a partner is below you.

To me this a whole new area that it can impact. I have done a lot of 3rd and 4th class scrambles hiking and such where you end up using a fixed line. 2 people CAN go up the same rope with cammed ascenders but retreat is impossible. Using a munter hitch, rappell rack, a grigri, figure 8, dDrt system or anything else weight on the line binds them all up.

In alpine settings climbers use fixed ropes all the time, I imagine that this device could prove to be huge in a few disciplines. Think of the cool rescue applications!

Congratulations, Stig! I am sure you guys are going to be thrilled on how the HH works and most likely will be experimenting with different hitches and hitch lengths.

A word of caution. This is not so much for you, Stig, because I know you have plenty of climbing and knot-tying experience, but I can't remember just how much your crew has. This is in regards to the stopper knots on the Dog-bone. This style of stopper is easy to tie and untie and because of this, care must be taken in the beginning of a reset. I like to have at least 4" of tail coming out the end of the knots as a safety while things are setting which can take a few cycles.

I realize that I may have just stated something that is perfectly obvious to everyone, but just in case it is not, I feel better having voiced it.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow Dave, that is super cautious IMO. I shoot to have 1" of tail. Also before you go playing with different hitches use the 5 wrap prussik for a while to get used to it, make sure when you load the HH with body weight that the bottom of the 4th wrap is about 1.5 inches above the HH, no more. This will ensure it always grabs.

Good observation on multiple users being on one line.....

Wow Dave, that is super cautious IMO. I shoot to have 1" of tail...

Hahaha! Well, you know us old folks, lookin' both ways before crossing the street and such. Things that we do that have allowed us to become old folks. :P

But seriously, in my opinion 1" is cutting it close for this knot. Really doesn't cost anything dollarwise or in efficiency to leave the tail a little longer. This is a fairly mobile knot until set.

Dave

Have you tried any of the 8mm stuff Dave?

How long are you cutting cords too with the new dogbone? I tried a 4/1 distel but cant get a 4/2 or a 5/1 distel to tie with the 10mm beeline that was included. The 6/0 vt or 'HH Knot' works well but I need to have it tied extra tight to ensure it grabs 100% of the time.

The whipping came off my included cord so to keep the ends from fraying I wrapped the end with black tape to make a tapered end, its over 2" long and acts as a good buffer for the stopper knot.

I want to try some HRC I think the grabbiness will be a good match.

I have been putting a lot of climbs in on it and am starting to work out the kinks and really seeing the potential of the HH and SRT in general. I am getting my thoughts together on a video to do soon.

Great, Nick! It would be nice to see your video of it in action. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What rope are you using Bonner?? Im running yale Buzzz and the 10mm works awesome with it, worked well with Forestry Pro also. Dave I havent seen the stopper knot tail shorten in all the time Ive been using it, as it sets it introduces slack into the hitch but Ive never seem the tail move???

I am not sure what the rope is... for a while I thought it was samson vortex, but it isnt. It was given to one our trainers by our head training and recruiting officer, it looks exactly like the "lightning green' lanyard on page 8 of the current Sherrill catalog or for a crappy resolution picture its here:
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Other-Lanyards/Buckstrap-Lightning-Green

He didnt like the feel of it so I got it, since it has an eye splice I jumped on it compared to standard issue which was unspliced. It is thin and 'square like' in feel. Trouble is there are only certain approved ropes from Big Green.

Back