Rope bridge question

Im sorry if people took offense but heres the brass tacks, just because some test shows something to be true in specific isolated situations doesnt make it true as a blanket statement. If you cant see into the data, and not just over it then you are not truly understanding its significance. The point of the dmm research was to warn rock climbers against using the product in a specifically dangerous fashion, a way that is not applicable to tree work.

A nylon rock climbing rope with extremely dynamic properties, the stretchiest of the stretchy, will break when subjected to these types of tests and scenarios. SO WILL THE ARB ROPES, I dont know how else to say it.

Maybe we will never be able to agree but I just implore anyone that doesn't trust it to attempt to truly understand the real issues:

-The material properties of dyneema compared to similar textiles
-The forces involved in fall factors
-The effect that that force would have on your skeletal system if the dyneema didnt break. (i.e. if it would break dyneema and it didnt, it would break you.)
-The dynamic factors involved in roped systems
-The effects of a roped system on that force and ultimately the components of a climbing system

In any event, keep it safe, fun, and happy.

I'm not the least bit concerned that a Dyneema bridge is going to break if it's in good contition. I agree with quite a bit of what you say on the subject.

My only concern is in the reports of self abrasion in difficult to inspect locations, or just more quickly than we might anticipate, so we fail in our inspection routine to inspect early and often. What do you think about this aspect of the subject?

No sheepishness here, little brother.
:)

Thanks big bro 8)

I think that plain dyneema is more abrasion resistant than similar materials. It is important to note that when it is used in a non-cover dependent fashion that dyneema, like any material cannot effectively be evaluated. Because of its strength if it has a sheath more than likely the sheath is not load bearing. I think that with bridges especially as a few people have noted on this thread it is important to use cover dependent materials so that abrasion/wear is obvious and easy to detect and replace.

However, I dont believe that the bridges in question are non-cover dependent dyneema cored, i could be wrong about this. For people that are worried about a dyneema core bridge using a pulley on the bridge will greatly reduce the tightness of the bend and the stress on the perpendicular fibers.

Im not a materials science engineer and certainly not the ULTIMATE authority. I wish Nick would pipe in here I would bet he has some knowledge to share.

Indeed...Nick's input would be greatly welcomed.

Actually, it SELF abrasion I'm seeing as the potential problem, rather than something a pulley could help. Like those girth hitched attachment points...I don't care much for them, with this type of fiber.

Better a live, albeit misguided sheep, than a dead lion IMO.

It may just be superstition, but I won't climb on Dyneema.

If you saw the pics of the bridge I cut off my Cougar, the worst part of the wear was where the spliced eyes were girth hitched around the aluminium rings. And you could not see the wear under the ring. I just got tired of worrying about it and when the eyes were getting a tad fuzzy, and the bridge felt a tad stiff in places, I deleted it from my saddle system. Obviously an excellent call derived from proper inspection.
And if any one was really paying attention about what I was saying about the dyneema in the FS thread, it is the fact he was going to be girth hitching it to rings and/or a carabiner. The video I posted showed the obvious (and you can argue all you want about what fall factors and what not), when a knot is used on the dyneema, the strength of the fabric is lessoned severely. Two girth hitches = 2 knots in my book. Yes there are other dynamics in play with stretchy rope etc.. But if you girth hitch dyneema as a bridge or friction saver, you have lessened the BS value considerably. If you sew it as a true basket configuration, the strength would probably be right where it should be.
JMO... Just saying..
Beware the application and how you mechanically apply it...
Dyneema is a great and strong product. LEAVE THE KNOTS OUT OF IT... Just saying...

20140822_204631.jpg adjustable rope bridge. Has anyone tried it this way with no hardware attached. And also. Is it safe. ?

Ascend and limb walking. I use srt to gain acsess then drt. I climbed on it today with rope walker and slide my hitch up one hand under pully and one hand on hitch. Limb walking I can extend it out and pull the tail on the way back in with no slack in system. Just my thoughts anyway.

Just a thought...
The more connections and devises in a system, the more places things can go wrong..
Just a thought.
I see some advantages. Like when, as I pointed out, you want a tight up close bridge. The Cougar is hard to get on with a real tight/close bridge.
Other than that... Not so much advantage IMO. Maybe you find different for you in your climbing style. So who am I to say ...

Back